Chapter 5: Sypha Belnades

Começar do início

'He wasn't much wrong,' Trevor said. 'Killing a cyclops is the only way to restore a victim. Didn't think I'd manage it.'

'Who are you two?' she asked without turning to face us. 

'Trevor Belmont.'

 'And I'm Alyx Belmont. His sister.' 

'But the Belmonts fight monsters,' the Speaker said. 

'I'm out of practice,' Trevor retorted. 'Let's show you to your grandfather, and then you can come down here and get killed again. Deal?' He outstretched his hand to her. 

'Very well. I'm Sypha Belnades.'

'I don't care,' Trevor ground out, walking away. 

'For the record, I care. Come, Sypha,' I said, hurrying away after Trevor. 

Later... 

Trevor and I entered the church, the priests leaving us at the foot of the altar. Suddenly, a man that I assumed was the bishop walked in, wearing ceremonial garb. 

'I am the Bishop of Gresit,' he announced. 

'You're not from around here,' Trevor remarked. 

'No. I'm originally from Targovishte. I was an aide to the archbishop. How did you divine that?' 

'Well, you're not running away screaming like the rest of the locals, for one thing,' I bit back. 

'From you two?' the bishop asked with a scoff of disdain. 

'From the baby-eating freaks of nature who apparently raid Gresit every night.'

'I intend to save Gresit.'

'And how do you plan to do that?' Trevor asked. 

'I brought you two here to answer some questions, not ask them.'

'Well, tough shit!' Trevor snapped. 'How exactly do you intend to help these people by killing Speakers?' 

'The Speakers brought these troubles upon themselves. One cannot live without God... quite literally in these days.' 

'You think the night hordes came because people weren't religious enough?' I asked incredulously. 'That's demented. And you were at Targovishte?' 

'The Archbishop had certain... interests that I believe compromised his ability to protect the city and the country. I was sent away long before Dracula came to Targovishte. We disagreed on matters of clerical discipline.' 

'But you were there for the burning of Dracula's wife. I heard all about that,' Trevor said. 

'Oh, yes. I arranged it, in fact. The woman was a witch. And there can be no doubt now that she consorted with the devil. She even married him.'

'I see. And we're here to be disciplined?' Trevor asked. 

'Not as such. I have a gift for the two of you. Your lives,  Belmonts,' he said, gesturing to us. 'Take them and go. Tonight, the Speakers will be dealt with, and then Gresit will be secure. I refuse, however, to toil so hard for the soul of this city with two excommunicant heretics within its walls.'

'That's a shit gift,' I said with a chuckle. 

'You could undo everything by your very presence.' 

'My God...' I muttered. 'You really believe it, don't you?' I added, Trevor and I looking at each other. 

'You will both leave Gresit by sundown, or you will not see the morning. Do I make myself clear? Despite the crimes you've committed against my aides, despite the crimes your family has committed against God, you will walk safely until sundown.' 

'Our family committed no crime,' Trevor snapped. 'You people simply decided we were wrong to defend this land against the supernatural. And now -'

'You Belmonts have never understood the power of the Word of God!' the bishop roared. 'The people of this city are mine and our Lord's now, and they'll do as I ask in His name! By morning, no Speaker will defile these streets, and you will either be gone or be dead. Do you understand?'

'Yes,' Trevor growled.

'Do this thing for me, and the matter of your excision from the church will be something we can discuss.'

'No offence,' Trevor muttered, 'but you are just a bishop. Excommunication came from a little higher up the ladder.' We began to walk away as the bishop spoke. 

'Targovishte is gone. The other great cities are lost or are losing. Gresit will be the last major city in Wallachia. To all intents and purposes, I will be the church.'