Champagne

"Is that a collector's cup or can I throw it away for you?"

I smiled politely at my grandmother before she pulled my sister away, going on about Chilton. I giggled as mom tossed the cup in the small trash by the front door, obviously ignoring Emily's wishes. We entered the living room as grandpa was commenting on Rory's height like she was cattle that needed to be judged. I was only an inch shorter and the curls in my hair hopefully filled the gap.

Grandma handed us glasses of champagne and we sat down on the ornate, unnecessarily expensive furniture. "This is just wonderful. An education is the most important thing, next to family," stated Emily as I sat down. The sharp taste of the champagne sat in the back of my throat. "...and pie" added my mother as I stifled a laugh and we gave each other a knowing look.

My mother and I had our moments. Those goofy moments where we clicked and the laughter in our eyes glowed. Her bright blue irises filled with joy as they met my hazel ones.

As grandpa went on reading his newspaper it was easy to see the similarities between my mother and her mother. The way they drank from the crystal glasses was almost identical and they bickered with the same amount of attitude, their brows furrowing in the same way.

Soon dinner had started and the fancy plated food arrived in front of us. The food was delicious and the goofy comments from my mother made the stale conversation almost enjoyable. "Speaking of which, Christopher called yesterday" said grandpa as he took a sip of wine, my once downturned eyes suddenly alert. "Speaking of which? How is that a speaking of which?" stated my mother bewildered. The last time I spoke to my father was maybe a few months ago at the most.

"He's doing very well in California. His internet start-up goes public next month. This could mean big things. Very talented man, your father" Rory looked around awkwardly. "They know" my mother responded as Richard went on. "He always was a smart one, that boy. You must take after him Rory" well if that wasn't insulting i don't know what is.

The whole conversation seemed to do nothing but piss off mom. The night ended with me and my sister listening to the an argument behind a very thin closed door. The money for Chilton came not only from my grandparents but with the conditions of Friday dinner and my reprimand. I looked at the worried face of my sister as she looked back at me.

"Did you know about this? She whispered hesitantly. I didn't want to reveal how I had gotten mom to slip that bit of information. The fact that my grandmother only wanted me at Chilton was to keep me from making any "stupid" decisions. I slowly nodded my head and mouthed a sorry in her direction.

We made our way back to Stars Hollow and I asked mom if she could just drop me off at home, not really having the taste for Luke's or the sanity for anymore family conversations. I laid back on my bed in mine and Rory's room, not bothering to change out of my dress at the moment. A sharp knock on the window startled me as I was met with bottle blond hair and a wicked smile. I slid up the window letting my friend crawl through. "Shane, what are you doing here so late?" she giggled and started fumbling through my closet. "I wanted to see what you were wearing to the party tomorrow, I hear there may be some boys from Hartford there" I rolled my eyes at the thought of pervy rich boys and the fact that Shane may woo herself into one of their wallets.

"What does that matter?" I asked as I sat back down on the edge of my bed, staring annoyingly at Rory's Harvard shrine. "Um they have money, you don't need an ID if you have money" I scrunched up my nose at the thought of all the booze. I liked the loud music that pushed every thought out of your brain and the all night dancing that led to your limbs burning. I had never been drunk but I had tried alcohol.

"Okay so Rich can pick us up about seven, cool?" I nodded and thought of an excuse to why a study group would be up until early in the morning. "Can I stay at your place? That way I don't have to bother with curfew?" she smirked at me. "Fine, but you have to wear this" she held up a black dress that I had never even worn, before slipping it back in the closet.

I giggled at the smile on her face. "I better get going" she said as she began once again climbing out the window. "Don't forget seven!" she said as she waved and sprinted across my yard as my moms headlights began to shine on the grass.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(A/N) Hi! I hope you liked this chapter. I do not own some of the quotes, they came straight from the show! Love ya - Dia