Some Guy Called "Dean"

“He’s just a boy Rory”

I said to my sister as we walked through the halls of Stars Hollow HIgh. Our arms holding boxes full of the random books and crap we cleaned out of our lockers. The looming start of Chilton nipping at our ankles all week. The school Rory had pined for, for like ever, was now sitting in the palm of her hand, and she was letting some guy named Dean get in the way. 

I didn’t want to go, but it was one of the two conditions that our grandmother set when asked to pay for Rory’s tuition. At this point, I can’t tell what’s worse; moving to a rich snooty prep school or moving to a rich snooty prep school with Rory. 

Rory was chatting with Lane as I quietly trailed behind. “Hey loser! Where are you off, too?” I looked to my right to see none other than my best friend, Shane. I set my box down on the ground before responding, “Prep school” “Ew bummer”. The both of us burst out laughing before she gave me a side hug. We here a drop and see Rory and Dean chit chatting. “Looks like your sister has a crush!” smirked Shane before I made a gagging face and picked up my things. 

We decided to walk home together after seeing Rory walk off with Dean. “Hey are you going to the party Saturday night?” I looked at her unamused “My mom would kill me”. She laughed as we made it towards the house. “Don’t tell her it’s a party, it’s a study group or something, she won’t remember” I scoffed at the fact that she wasn’t that wrong. Rory was the star child, a bookworm, straight A’s, never in trouble. I was mediocure, and it didn’t help that I really took after my dad, so sometimes I was left out.

“Fine a study group, this is my stop. Call me, ok?” Shane nodded, and I veered off back towards the house. I stopped to talk to Babette before rushing in to finish up some homework. I snacked on a pop-tart and worked through each algebra problem. It’s not that I wasn’t as smart or anything, I just don’t like school. I make A’s and B’s, but i’ll never be on the same level academically as Rory.

I finished everything up before walking down to Luke’s to meet mom and Rory for dinner. “But it’s September-” I ended up joining in on a very tense conversation “what’s going on?”. I sat down “we are having dinner with your grandparents Friday night” I looked at mom wierdly “what holiday is-” 

“it’s not a holiday, it’s just dinner, ok?”