'Tin Man,' A Review by @CarolinaC

Review: Tin Man, by @bloodsword

A wicked sheriff, a kindly cyborg, and a curious girl are all searching for a tool that might allow them to harness the power of a world long gone. But, once that power is uncovered, will it be used for good or evil?

For me, Candlepunk, like most of the 'punk' genres, is all about mood. Besides solid science and technology elements, a good candlepunk story needs to feel right. It needs to capture the ethos of some part of that long and varied time between the fall of Rome and the uptake of steam. And it needs to do it with style.

@bloodsword's Tin Man has atmosphere to spare. It is set in a world where a once-great empire has fallen, taking with it most advanced technologies. Despite the passage of many years, some ancient devices can still operate - among them the eponymous tin man - but the vanished greatness is otherwise largely forgotten. People live simple lives, even though there are remindes of what once was. The overall feel is reminiscent both of Stephen King's Dark Tower series and the various Bioshock and Fallout video games. This atmosphere is enhanced by references to real-word history, classic science fiction, and real-life scientists; the world is simultaneously both familiar and foreign.

In the end, this story is a thoughtful reflection on the nature of humanity, one whether knowledge is inherently valuable for its own sake, and what it truly means to be good. An intriguing read.