He hated the sense of vulnerability he was feeling.

"How much did you hear?" he steps forward threateningly. "You better tell the truth."

"I-" she stops, hesitating whether or not she should tell him the truth. "Fine. All of it. Happy?"

"Get out of my sight."

For once, his guard flinched. "What?"

"You heard me. Get out!"

He was beyond pissed. All his conflicted emotions had bent into a surge of anger. Who did she think she was, romping around the palace, doing whatever she pleased as if she owned the place?

And to his surprise, she obliges without another word, walking out of his sight.

Riki lets out a sigh of frustration. He needed some space for himself. Somewhere that he could keep himself distracted. Somewhere he could forget everything and run away from his troubles, even for a little bit.

But you can't leave the palace, his mind argued, Danger. No protection.

Shut up, another part of his mind said.

He takes a deep breath. He'd allow himself one last adventure before dedicating himself to studying.

The prince dashes to his room and rummages through the closet before pulling out a large gray cloak and commoner clothing: a simple, dark blue tunic. He had kept these for whenever he snuck out. Quickly changing into the new outfit, he glances at himself in the mirror.

He needed glamour.

-

It was an easy feat to sneak out. Prince Riki had just simply used one of the secret passageways he had found when he was little while exploring. Once out of royal grounds, he had saddled up his horse, Bisco..

The Yang Manor wasn't far from the palace. After coaxing Bisco into the Yang Manor's stables, Riki looks at the familiar mansion before walking up to the front door. He nods at the guards, who had recognized him after countless visits and let him pass.

"Visitor for Mister Yang Jungwon!" one of them called.

"Your Highness?" A boy with cat-like eyes popped into the hallway, staring at the prince in puzzlement. "May I ask why you are here?"

Riki wrinkles his nose. "Drop the formalities already," he hisses. "I told you, just call me Riki when high-ranking people are not around."

The older smiles sheepishly. "Sorry, out of habit."

Jungwon was naturally a good kid. He was polite, mature, well-mannered, and not two-faced, unlike many of the children of nobles Riki had met over the years. While he was troublesome and mischievous, Jungwon was obedient and most likely never had made a mistake or lied. Really, sometimes Riki didn't know how he became friends. Perhaps the one thing that united them was their yearn for an adventure.

His friend steps aside. "Let's go to my room to talk, shall we?"

As they walk upstairs, Riki takes a look around his surroundings. "Is your father home?"

Jungwon shook his head. "He went to one of the neighboring kingdoms. You know, as a diplomatic envoy. He's trying to gain allies for the war," he gestures at the two armchairs beside the crackling fireplace. "Now tell me, what is the reason for your visit?"

"I need you to use your gift on me," Riki admits.

The other furrows his eyebrows. "My gift? Why would you need a glamour?"

Jungwon was a master at making illusions. He could warp and distort reality. Frankly, Riki found it confusing, so he was thankful he didn't have that ability.

Warily, his eyes dart around the room. "I need you to disguise me."

The envoy's son blinks his eyes in confusion. "From what?"

Riki hesitates, knowing that the latter wouldn't like it. "I'm going to the villages."

"The villages? Alone?" Jungwon yelps, scrambling out of his seat, "Riki! That's dangerous! Who knows, maybe the West sent people to spy on us! They'll kidnap you and-"

"Pipe down, Jungwon. That's why I'm having you put an illusion on me. So that no one will recognize me."

Conflicted, Jungwon wrung his hands. "Please, Your Majesty, Riki, it's for your own safety," he pleads, "It's dangerous. Wait-" he pauses. "Does anyone know you're here?"

"No," Riki replies nonchalantly, "I snuck out. Like always."

Poor boy was about to have a heart attack. "Snuck out?" he repeats, blanching visibly. "I thought you said your father grants you permission to come to my home?"

"Well," Riki shrugs, "I lied."

Jungwon paces back and forth. "Riki, I can't let you stay here. I-" he falters, "As a friend, I can't let anything hurt you. Maybe it's best if you go back to the palace?"

"Jungwon, please. I can't. I need to get away from that place-"

His eyes soften. "If you insist, I should go with you. I can't let you go off alone. I know my way around-"

"No, I can take care of myself," the prince interjected, patting his sword, "I won't be long, just a few hours."

"Riki," he pauses, before sighing, "I can't dissuade you, can't I? Just- just stay safe."

Jungwon's hands started to glow faintly as he murmured a few chants. The prince felt his skin prickle uncomfortably. The light from the older's hands had diminished.

He gestures at the mirror. "Is this to your liking?"

Prince Riki turns around. His hair hadn't changed at all. But his body did.

He was thin and scrawny like a typical child in the villages. If he looked closely at his arms, he could trace small veins popping from his skin. Riki flexed his arm and relaxed. At least he had kept his strength despite his appearance. His height had shrunken significantly, considering that he was pretty tall.

And his face! Before, his cheekbones and jaw were less defined, but now, they were rather prominent. His eyes, normally sharp, were softened. He had thin lips and a small nose.

Riki could barely recognize himself.

Jungwon examines him and frowns. "It's really strange to look at you, knowing that you don't actually look like this."

He lets out a low, deep chuckle. "I know." Even his voice had changed. "Is it okay if I leave my stuff here?" he questions.

Jungwon nods. "You can get it the next time you come." He escorts Riki to the main entrance. Before he leaves, he gives him a hug. "Be careful." he orders. "Don't go looking for trouble."

"You, out of all people, should know that trouble finds me, not the other way around." Riki tilts his head. "Oh and good luck winning over Jihye's heart."

He blushes. "Yah!"

But the prince had already left the household on his horse, on his way to the village.

A/N: y e s i had to add my bias wrecker in it. super sorry about the very bad chapter- i thought i would have more time so i update twice a week but my dad has put me in a math regime to do and reading and writing is such a small portion of my dad. now i have to sneak in writing when im doing math and its hard cause im kinda paranoid :///. i feel like riki is getting out if character and im really bad at expressing ancient japan's historical culture. next chapter will be more eventful, i promise