Journey to the South

Zhenxing was in a daze as Lixin led the way out of the grove of cherry trees and to the gates of the manor. It wasn't until the grand house disappeared from view and they were far into the city again that Zhenxing realized he was still clutching onto the prince's hand. 

The fingers belonging to that hand were long and pale. Elegant, like those of a painter or calligrapher.

A blush suddenly heated his cheeks, catching him off guard. Puzzled, Zhenxing yanked his hand away, nearly tripping as he did. Lixin pivoted gracefully, catching him before Zhenxing could go tumbling into a cart laden with graveyard fruit.

Zhenxing blinked at the prince, his hands resting lightly on Lixin's chest. The demon had one arm looped around his waist, keeping Zhenxing from overbalancing. When Zhenxing realized all this, he felt as though his entire body turned beet red. Flustered, he twisted away from Lixin, folding his hands behind his back.

The demon gave him a peculiar look, but just fell into step beside him, black fan once more in hand.

It took Zhenxing a long time to force the blush from his face, until there was nothing left but a stubborn, subtle heat at his earlobes. Clearing his throat, he folded his arms, wishing he had Yueguang to hold on to. His hands felt empty and restless.

But it would seem odd to call his sword into the material world without any cause.

What if Lixin got the wrong idea?

This Highness likes Daozhang. What more reason is needed in the world?

Zhenxing chewed nervously on his lower lip as he remembered the prince's words beneath the cherry trees. He cast another sideways glance at the prince, just to find himself already under the demon's scrutiny.

Panicked, Zhenxing didn't know if he should look away or not. That stubborn blush began to creep toward his cheeks again. He opened and closed his mouth like a fish, desperately searching for something to say that wouldn't embarrass him any further than he had already managed tonight.

Just thinking about the fact that he had cried in front of the prince made a shudder of horror go down his spine.

"Where are we going?" Zhenxing finally blurted, cringing at the odd pitch of his voice, his heart thudding in his chest. 

A small smile twitched the corner of Lixin's mouth, but he didn't laugh. He just shut his fan with a snap, lifting a brow with mock imperiousness. "Daozhang hasn't got a destination in mind?"

Zhenxing blinked, a furrow appearing between his brows. "You're...the one who said we need to find where they got the poison?"

Lixin's smile grew minutely before he snapped his fan open, hiding half his face. His phoenix eyes sparkled in the lantern light, and Zhenxing got the distinct feeling he was being teased. But he could sense no malice in the prince's tone. No cruelty in his eyes.

But Zhenxing didn't know how to respond to something that was not cruelty. He didn't truly know how to read or react to anyone who wasn't the Tiger Immortal.

Friend. Teacher. Companion...  So many things. Hu Ye had been so many things to him. And Zhenxing had never been welcomed by the children of the immortals. Shy and battered as he had been, Zhenxing hadn't made any attempts to befriend others in the Heavenly Realm. All he had ever needed was his Lord, the Tiger Immortal. 

In short, he had no idea how to tease or joke around with friends. 

Lixin bit his lip behind the fan as Chu Hu Zhen's mouth fell into a pout, his smooth brow wrinkled in serious thought. Not only was this cultivator handsome, he was simply too cute for words.

Tempted as he was to just let Chu Hu Zhen continue to ponder with such an adorable expression, Lixin didn't want to make the cultivator uncomfortable. Clearing his throat, he shut his fan with a dramatic snap and pointed along the road before him. Chu Hu Zhen followed the line of the fan, his black pearl eyes scanning carefully over the buildings and their signs. 

When he looked back at Lixin, he lifted a brow in question. His hands opened and closed restlessly at his sides, making Lixin want to hold them and still their movement. Every time Chu Hu Zhen flexed his wrists, small spots of red blood bloomed on the linen, sending spikes of fury through Lixin's blood.

Perhaps he should have stabbed the Dragon Immortal instead of her Attendant.

"South!" Chu Hu Zhen suddenly blurted, startling Lixin out of his thoughts. Chu Hu Zhen looked down the road, then back at Lixin, eyes bright and fierce and spellbinding. "South?" he said, tone suddenly uncertain. "To the...your...um..."

"Right," Lixin said faintly. "Demon Realm."

Chu Hu Zhen nodded, expression turning rueful. "Now that you say it, it's obvious." His pretty eyes shaded as his lashes lowered mournfully. "I should have thought of that much earlier. I...I shouldn't have wasted so much time."

"If Daozhang had gone there with blocked qi points and delicate meridians, Daozhang would have been eaten alive. Literally." Lixin shuddered. Once more opening his fan, he began walking, Chu Hu Zhen falling in step close beside him. "It's better this way."

Zhenxing wrinkled his nose at the reminder of how weak his fall from the Heavens had made him. The prince was likely right, but that didn't mean Zhenxing appreciated the sentiment. He glanced sideways at Lixin, who was, thankfully, too busy glaring a warning at a yao to notice this time. 

Zhenxing opened his mouth, hoping to convince the prince to leave him to his lonely fate, but was stopped by a brief, pinching sensation at his arm, just above his elbow. Lixin pulled him close, snarling at something behind Zhenxing. He turned to find a pack of mummified corpses cowering back as demonic qi swirled up, burning the back of Zhenxing's throat and his eyes.

Every monster, ghoul and ghost in a five meter radius backed up, scrambling and pushing each other to get out of the way of an angry demon prince. 

Eyes flaring gold, Lixin made sure the monsters had backed off before looking down at Zhenxing, whose heart was beating hard in his throat. He had guessed that Lixin was a higher level demon, what with being a prince and all. But it wasn't until just now that he realized how much spiritual power this prince possessed.

After all, bloodline did not always indicate ability.

Lixin obviously had plenty of ability.

"Let me see," Lixin said, sending another dark glare at the nefarious creatures around them before he gently took Zhenxing's arm, turning it beneath the light of a red lantern. He sighed in relief, brushing his fingers over the silk there. "It didn't bite through your clothes."

"Mn." Zhenxing swallowed hard, now caught in a conundrum. 

He did not want to drag Lixin into whatever trouble his life would surely continue to bring.  However...could he really afford to push away such a useful, willing ally?

No.

The answer resounded through his head as he looked at the prince fussing over the mummy drool currently staining Zhenxing's sleeve.

Not if you want to carry out your revenge.

"Will you really come with me?"

Lixin looked up, eyes wide. His long lashes fluttered as he blinked. Then, without a word, he nodded.

Zhenxing met those bright, phoenix eyes for a moment, trying to search for any sign of treachery or guile. Any trick or trap. Lixin didn't speak as they stared at each other, waiting for Zhenxing to pass judgement.

Choking a little on his pride, Zhenxing whispered, "Come with me."

Lixin, without missing a beat, said, "Wherever you go, I will go."

For, Lixin had realized, he had stumbled upon something very important, quite by accident when he had decided to help the pretty Daozhang in Ol' Mo's clothier shop.

How could he possibly leave his soulmate alone to wander the world without him?