The Wandering Immortal

Zhenxing crouched next to a small pond, splashing his face to wash the blood and sweat away. He traced the scars he'd sustained nearly a year ago, peering at his reflection in the still waters. 

As he'd suspected, the damage to his body had made it difficult to find a cultivation master in the Mortal Realm who would take him as a disciple. The marks on his face were inauspicious. Though many sects welcomed him as a guest, exactly zero had been willing to take him in permanently. 

One old master had even told him to stop looking for a sect altogether. Apparently, his fate was to wander the earth alone, dispatching demons, ghosts and other evils to atone for whatever sin had marked him so.

Zhenxing had been doing just that, though he hadn't stopped looking for a teacher. His spiritual core was recovering, along with his meridians. He still hadn't managed to remove all the blocks on his qi points, but he was making progress. With every demon, ghost and monster he defeated during his wandering, his spiritual power grew a little more. The time alone allowed him plenty of chances to meditate.

And to grieve.

He smiled softly as he imagined Hu Ye peering over his shoulder, wondering why his disciple was looking at the water instead of bathing in it. Those fierce eyes laughed at Zhenxing from the reflection and a tear slipped down his face, dripping into the pool. Hu Ye disappeared in the ripples, reminding Zhenxing how alone he really was.

A soft disturbance in the air made the back of his neck prickle. Zhenxing dipped his fingers in the cool water. He didn't move, though his grip on his sword's scabbard tightened somewhat.

Zhenxing had only recently recovered enough power to summon the spiritual blade, Yueguang, and had taken to simply carrying it as mortal cultivators did. He was afraid if he let it return to its spiritual form, he would waste another few months just trying to retrieve it. He hadn't been able to so much as sense Xintong, his other spiritual weapon, much to his distress.

The silver-and-white scabbard chilled in his hand.

A soft hiss was the only warning. Zhenxing jumped back as arrows thudded into the ground where he had been resting. He landed on top of a nearby pine and drew Yueguang, the silver blade pure and white as the moonlight it took its name from.

More arrows hissed toward him, and he used Yueguang to cut them from the air.

It was odd, though. These arrows were easily blocked, with very little intent to kill. If he hadn't recognized the fletching, Zhenxing might have mistaken them for the arrows of bandits.

"Come down, little cub." Across the pond, two figures appeared. "We shall speak, you and I."

Zhenxing crouched at the top of the tree, cocking his head at the Boar Immortal. Yueguang shivered in his hand. Its temperament had always been chilly, but after so many weeks spent running and fighting those who hunted him, it was downright frigid when confronted with anyone from the Heavenly Realm.

Beside him, the Rabbit Immortal stood, a graceful bow in her hand. That would explain the lack of killing intent, then.

Zhenxing wrinkled his nose and bared his teeth to scent the air.

"There are no others," Shen Zhu said in his stately voice. "I swear on my honor."

Zhenxing believed him. Even though he was a fugitive of Heaven, he did not think the Boar Immortal would resort to trickery. So, he stepped off the tree and spread his arms, landing lightly in the grass. Yueguang glowed brighter white, a chill wafting off the blade. He did not sheathe it.

"What shall we speak of, Lord Boar Immortal?" Zhenxing asked, his voice rough with many weeks of disuse. "Surely you are wise enough to know I will not return to Heaven until I've found the one who murdered my Lord."

The Rabbit Immortal twitched her dainty nose. The purple and blue silk of her robes fluttered as her bow disappeared and she folded her hands into her sleeves. "A convenient reason not to return. Do you worry so about being investigated?"

"Convenient?" Zhenxing shook his head, strands of hair falling around his face. "No, my Lady. The death of my master is many things, but convenient isn't one."

A flash of pain crossed Lady Yutu's face. "Xing-er—"

"Don't," he snarled, letting all pretense of courtesy fall away. "Call me that again and I'll kill you."

Shen Zhu's red eyes narrowed as he took in the Tiger Immortal's attendant. The cub had always been gently graceful. He rarely spoke a harsh word, his appearance always pristine and lovely.

Now, he had grown the teeth and claws that Hu Shen had so avidly hoped his little human cub would sprout. Dressed in stunning black and gold, face striped with scars, holding a naked blade, Zhenxing looked every bit the heir Hu Shen had raised.

"Who would have killed Ah-Shen?" the Boar Immortal asked. Unlike his companions, Shen Zhu had never been swayed to believe Zhenxing had killed his master.

The boy worshipped Ah-Shen. He would have cut his own throat if the Tiger Immortal had asked it of him. He would have died in Hu Shen's place if he could have. Likely, if the Jade Emperor had allowed it, the cub would have traded his soul for Hu Shen's. But that was a forbidden technique and was to never be asked of the cub, lest he try it on his own and disturb an already disrupted cycle.

"My Lord had the tiger's share of enemies," Zhenxing said, mouth twisting in a mirthless smile. "How many evils had he brought low? How many demons had he destroyed or imprisoned? How many Ghost Kings had he made fools of?" Tears silvered those black pearl eyes. "My Lord was courageous to the point of recklessness and could stand no injustice. Righteous men will always have enemies."

Both the Zodiacs inclined their heads. The cub had made his point.

But that changed nothing.

Lady Yutu's bow was once more in her hands, nocked and aimed at the cub. Her soft voice was like the wind sighing through a willow. "Zhenxing, surrender yourself to the will of Heaven. You will be heard, and the appropriate judgement made. Hu Shen's death will be avenged."

Though kind and virtuous, the Rabbit Immortal was also a practical rule-follower. Zhenxing bared his teeth in a vicious smile. The judgement had already been made. He would shoulder the blame, with the real culprit running free so those in the Heavenly Realm could save face.

It was already a huge blow that a lowly human had managed to evade them for so long.

The Boar Immortal sighed, a long, heavy spear appearing in his right hand. "Zhenxing, Tiangou is close behind. It will be safer if you surrender to us."

Zhenxing's eyebrow twitched at the mention of the Dog Immortal. Claw marks from his last encounter with Tiangou radiated pain down his shoulder. He was not eager for another bout with the enraged Guardian.

"I'm sorry," he said, springing suddenly into action. Silver wires flew in every direction, sharp and lethal, trapping the two Zodiacs in place. Zhenxing flew through the air, running light over the tops of the trees. "I will return to Heaven only when the true murderer is caught. Please stop getting in my way."

Shen Zhu ran his finger along one of the wires, drawing blood on its razor edge. Suddenly, outraged howling let him know Tiangou had arrived, and he turned to find the Dog Immortal caught in the wire trap Zhenxing must have learned during his wandering.

Yutu sighed, watching with disdain as Tiangou slashed at the wires with his sword, then her gentle eyes met Shen Zhu's.

"He'll be killed," she said, her voice heavy with certainty.

Shen Zhu didn't respond, using his spear to break the wires.

In the distance, Zhenxing continued to flee, weary and heartsick. 

Word Count: 1306

Total: 10,966