Ch 16: Ben's crying

Start from the beginning

"Who knows? I mean... Anthony, you know it wouldn't be a visit. Coming home is coming back to the family business. I don't want to go back to Dante's orders. I don't want to get married to someone I don't know. I'm tired of fighting Dante."

"Is that all?"

"That place is too haunted for me. I'm sorry, Anthony."

"Come on," Ben whispered, shimming back out. "Let's stop." He sat on Evie's floor, waiting for her to reveal herself. She mirrored his position, sitting Criss Cross and yet, with perfect posture.

Ben crossed his arms. "Do you eavesdrop a lot?"

Evie shook her head.

"Really?"

Evie paused and switched her answer to a shrug. Sighing, Ben deflated and slouched over. "You need to respect people's privacy, okay?"

She nodded. "Okay."

Ben didn't hassle her more. Honestly, he couldn't blame her. He'd say he'd do the same thing at her age, but he'd probably do the same thing now. She scurried down the stairs, and Ben walked like a zombie to his bedroom to get changed.

He swung the open to reveal a tall, dark, and handsome blob at the door. Ben grabbed his glasses and Nino focused into view, standing tall in a full black suit tailored to all his angular broad lines. Shaved, showered, Nino had his black curls slicked back. Photoshoot ready, Nino had the power of mind control, super strength, lasting beauty, and the power to rip Ben's heart out and crush it. Only Nino could be so beautiful that Ben saw it as a threat.

"Good morning," Nino said.

Ben made a noncommittal hum before saying, "Morning." He looked at Nino up and down again as that sinking feeling returned. Even if Nino's fiancé didn't want him, seeing him like this might change that guy's mind. "You're ready to go, huh?"

"I'll be back tonight," Nino said it like a promise, as if Ben could actually believe him. "We're going to the club together. Don't you dare tell Lincoln you're going alone."

A laugh jumped out of Ben. "Why do you care if I tell Lincoln?"

"Because I don't want him to hate me more than he already does."

That sinking feeling finally completely sunk and Ben was drowning at the bottom of the ocean in these feelings. Nino needed to understand the importance of his and Lincoln's relationship. Lincoln was Ben's family. He was it.

An evil glint twinkled when Nino grinned. "I'm also trying to win our fight."

Nino strutted towards Ben with that model quality, leaning in close and enveloping Ben's space. Dammit. He even smelled good. Ben crossed his arms so he wouldn't strangle him. He didn't have to go this far for a guy he's about to reject.

"I'll be back soon."

Ben shrugged. "Ok."

"I will."

"I'll believe you."

With a sigh, Nino knew Ben was lying. There was the smallest sliver of hope left in Ben and he wouldn't hold on to it, knowing it'd be just another splinter in his heart. Nino leaned in, pressing a kiss to Ben's forehead. He barely moved from him to say, "I'll be right back."

Ben said nothing. Just watched him leave. Closing his eyes, Ben felt the burn in his eyes, the pressure building in his face and threatening him with tears. The attack was mental, but the hurt was physical, bringing Ben to tears. He just got Nino and now he had already had to let him go. Ben didn't have the right to tell Nino to do anything else. It felt like they were barely even friends.