Ch 8: I'm going to mess you up

Start from the beginning

"She was," Ben agreed.

"And mean!"

"Right? I don't know how she stays in business if she attacks all her customers."

Evie continued to sob, and Ben's shoulders slumped. He realized maybe she needed to go home and nap it off. He understood this frustrated kind of cry. Wrapping her up in his arms, Evie buried her face in his neck as she continued to cry. He tried soothing her and rubbing her back. On the way back to his apartment, he even caught the eye of a stroller mom with twins. They shared a moment of recognition that honestly made it all a little cuter. Horrifying, but maybe a little cute.

Lincoln and Nino were waiting on the steps by the time Ben returned, both jumping up. "Is everything okay?" Lincoln asked. Evie had calmed down a bit, but she still had Been in a chokehold as she whimpered to probably milk this for sympathy a little longer.

"We weren't able to find what she wanted." Ben looked at Nino, hoping Nino would just go with him on this. "I'm going to take her upstairs, let her shower and maybe take a nap."

"I'm jealous," Lincoln said.

"I can take her up," Nino said, placing his hand on the small of Ben's back. Electricity ran up his spine and he had to hold his breath. "I'm sure she's heavy."

"I got her..." Ben said as his face warmed. "I don't think she's going to let me go, anyway."

Nino got out of the way and the place his hand used to be went so cold. He brought her up and gave her everything she needed. Ben did a quick outfit change too and went for the stairs. Lincoln and Nino were still on the stoop. Instinct told Ben to slow down. Do not make any noise. This was the quietest he had ever seen them. And it was the first time they ever talked without him around.

Lincoln said something so leading, "Ben must like your niece."

Nino shifted. Ben could smell the discomfort wafting out of him. "Well, it's Ben..." there was so much fondness stuffed in Ben's name, it might as well have been a teddy bear. Just hearing him smile gave Ben goosebumps. "He'll get along with anybody."

"Mm-hmm..." Lincoln hummed into his beer. "I hate to agree with you."

"Sorry I had to make you do that."

Somehow Lincoln's laugh sounded annoyed. "What are you doing, Nino? Of all the people to help you with your niece, why did it have to be Ben?"

"I didn't want this for him either. It's really a favor for my sister."

"What do you plan to do with him?"

"I guess, get through the summer."

"That's not what I mean." Lincoln's voice became grave. "You know that's not what I mean."

"Lincoln, believe me when I say all I want, all I've ever wanted was to help make Ben's life better."

"I understand that but are you making his life better? Or is it all just the same?" Lincoln asked and Nino's silence was its own answer. Ben's friend sighed. "Don't you think maybe he's at a standstill? And maybe he can't move on because he's waiting for the weekends you come to visit? We're all getting older. It's time we figured out what we want, but... in some ways, Ben's still that twenty-two-year-old from five years ago. I know I sound like a nag, but he's my best friend and like the nicest person in the world, so I just... I just assume he's being taken advantage of."

They drank a little more in their quiet.

Well, Ben assumed Nino pretended.

Eventually, Nino asked, "What has he said about that Tim guy?"