Ch 1: I've never met a Feast

Start from the beginning

"Nino?" Lincoln groaned. "Don't tell me he's here. Isn't he in Italy-"

"Bye, Lincoln. Talk to you later."

"Wait!"

Eyes widened, Nino knocked on the window again, and Ben raced over. He unlocked the  three different ways to open the window and quickly yanked Nino into the apartment. "What are you-?"

All week, Ben had made over a thousand wishes.

He watched in awe as a broad-shouldered man stepped out onto his living room floor, wearing shiny leather shoes, a black suit with a black tie and a red pocket square.

It seemed sometimes wishes could come true. The model Fortune, or Nino Ventura, was back in the city.

Nino slapped his hand over Ben's mouth, pressing down as his other arm curled around his back and Nino's cologne overwhelmed Ben's senses. Nino whipped Ben around, backing him into the glass.

His scowl dragging down the length of Ben's body, Nino whispered, "Is there anyone here?"

Ben's eyes widened, his stomach dropping to his toes. He shook his head.

"Wait here."

Nino moved Ben to his armchair in the corner and, in a flash, too quick for Ben's eyes, Nino vanished upstairs. Anxiety crept across Ben's edges, curling around him like spider legs. Every whine from the floorboard and creak of a door opening made Ben's heart swell up, each time blocking off the air from his throat. Tense all over, Ben didn't dare move, or maybe he couldn't. Was this because of fear or was it a compulsion?

Returning, Nino's brow remained furrowed as he looked around the room again. "The coast is clear, but I don't know why my guy called me over nothing. Maybe it's time he retires from the position-"

"Hey, are you going to just talk to yourself?" Ben asked. "Or can I be included?"

Sheepishly, Nino rubbed the back of his neck like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar. "I got a guy that watches over this apartment-"

Ben's jaw dropped. "You have what?"

"A guy. It's just in case." Nino raised his hands, slightly amused.

"Just in case what?"

Nino rolled his eyes. "You already know what. I think it's a miracle you haven't been gobbled up by now." Just the words made Ben shiver. He glanced back at the window, letting Nino run his mouth as he locked the window back, even though he already let a monster inside. "You smell like a Feast, and it'd take just one drop for another vampire to notice and then, it'll be over for you. There's no way you can fight a vampire. You have trouble opening pickle jars."

"Just say you're worried about me, Nino." Ben steadied himself, turning to face him again with a smile that faltered at Nino's grim expression.

"I've never met a Feast, Ben."

Ben wilted. "So, you're just worried about losing out on a meal. Are you hungry?" Ben asked, gingerly touching Nino's face and rubbing his thumb across the bags underneath Nino's eyes. Those usually weren't there. Nino took his hand and pressed a cold kiss to his palm, sending a stray firework down Ben's spine.

"Ravenous," Nino said, and, in his smile, Ben could see two fangs sticking out.

Taking a deep breath, Ben tried to prepare himself, but it went against human nature, opening yourself to this kind of pain. Being so willingly close to death. Ben was never ready. Nino pulled Ben's arm over his shoulder, slipping a cool hand around his neck with his other arm secure around his back and all Ben had to do was stand there limply like a doll. Nino kissed the crook of Ben's neck and awakened an army of goosebumps down Ben's limbs.