18 | hate is a strong word

◤━━━━━━━━━━━━━◥

↱  in whichit's always the same pattern

in which
it's always the same pattern

DEMENTORS WERE supposed to make you feel fear. So why did she feel so horribly angry?

Maybe it was everything that happened that night. Watching a hippogriff get slaughtered and being indirectly called a selfish coward, it only fueled her fire.

Sometimes, Scarlett wanted that terrible feeling in her gut to claw her from the inside out.

Why was it that everyone around her could respond to situations normally, and she had to immediately resort to anger? Why did anger have to be the one emotion she could comfortably feel?

These thoughts only helped to make her angrier.

When she passed out, the Dementors made her see things. Horrible things.

Scarlett saw herself when she was younger and less angry at the world. When her bed at the Home was the only comfort she knew. She saw the first ones.

The first ones being the first people that adopted her. An insanely rich couple, disgusted by the state of that wretched orphanage (who wouldn't be?).

The woman was a pale lady who's entire personality was her husband. The man was the CEO of a large company, one that had began to decline. His public image had been slaughtered when word got out that the money from his 'charity event' didn't actually go to charity.

So naturally, the couple adopted a poor little girl who'd never seen her parents before as a way of showing that, 'yeah, they did do charity.'

Scarlett thought she was lucky that she'd get to have rich and famous parents. That was before they called her a devil spawn.

She'd got a bit too angry one day, it was her fourth night in a row being forced to some event. The woman would get her all dressed up, the only words spoken between them would be 'don't speak unless spoken to.'

The cameras would flash in her eyes and the journalists' pens would scribble down every word she said. But that night Scarlett accidentally said something she wasn't supposed to.

Her adoptive father pulled her aside. He screamed and shouted at her, wagged his finger in her face, told her what a mistake he made choosing her.

That night, all the cameras mysteriously exploded, the beautiful glass chandelier shattered to the floor, and Scarlett was shipped back to the Home.