Chapter 183 - Fishing For The Truth

Start from the beginning

“General Rawat, where have you been hiding this young lady? Shehnaaz Gill, eh? Such daring eloquence…” Chairman Bhatt
laughed heartily. “She should go into politics and run in the elections. What a waste of talent!”

“Careful there, Old Bhatt—Sidharth will tear the Senate hall apart if you get any funny ideas!” General Rawat chuckled as he gave Chairman Bhatt a good-natured shove. “Let’s see what happens next!”

Kirat wasn’t afraid of Shehnaaz’s threats. She said with a sneer, “Evidence? Of course I have evidence. Why would I stoop to baseless slander?”

“Oh? So what’s the evidence?” Shehnaaz was deliberately piling the pressure on Kirat, like a vicious dog ruthlessly snapping at her heels. She wasn’t going to let Kirat wriggle out of this. “Did you catch them red-handed? Do you have photos and videos of them together in bed? Or do you have some other evidence?”

“I don’t have to catch them in bed together. Radhika Hegde, Deepika Shukla’s mother, found the love letters they sent each
other. Isn’t that enough? Why would I have to catch them in the act?!” The veins on Kirat’s forehead were visible now. She glowered at Shehnaaz, her face contorted with anger. She looked like a dragon about to breathe fire.

“Love letters? Hah!” Shehnaaz gave a slow clap. “Those are the forged evidence I was referring to, duh!”

Shehnaaz took a deep breath. She was still waiting for the test results from the forensic science department, but that wasn’t going to stop her from giving Kirat a good scare.

A good lawyer had to be bold in their assumptions, but meticulous with the evidence.

“What did you say?!” Kirat was furious. “Can you prove that the love letters were forged?!”

“I don’t know about the other letters, but I know the one letter from Madam Rita is definitely a fake.” Shehnaaz was talking very fast now, leaving no room for Kirat to cut in and refute her claims. “Think about it: Madam Rita was gravely injured in the lab accident 16 years ago. Her brain was affected, and the hospital diagnosed her to be suffering from a serious mental disorder. She could not even take care of herself, so how was it possible for her to write a love
letter to Ashok Shukla 10 years ago? Ashok  Shukla had already been dead for six years by then. Like I said, you should have come up with a less clumsy way to frame Madam Rita and destroy her marriage. Your shameless ploy speaks volumes for your character, but the shoddy, incompetent work of forgery says even more about your intelligence, or lack thereof. I’m worried about your IQ…”

“Shut your mouth!” Kirat did not like anyone questioning her intelligence. Shehnaaz’s fixation on Rita’s letter puzzled her, however. She was beginning to get a little flustered, but she kept her wits about her. “That letter was written 16 years ago! Why do you say it was written 10 years ago?!”

“How do you know the letter was written 16 years ago?” Shehnaaz was now ruthlessly tearing into Kirat’s every word. “Can you prove it? It was only discovered 10 years ago, but you keep saying it was written 16 years ago. You’re a physicist—where’s the logic in that? Are you stupid?”

“You clearly haven’t done your research,” Kirat said dismissively. “Don’t let your assumptions get the better of you.”

Shehnaaz casually crossed her arms. “Enlighten me, then.” She began tapping her foot.

Her true motive was to bait Kirat into spilling the beans.

Shehnaaz knew the likelihood of Kirat accidentally revealing something she shouldn’t have increased with every word, as long as she kept her mouth running.