The Night Rider I

Start from the beginning

     "Eh, I'm just good at what I do. Also, do you want a name to substitute that 'oh so pleasant' nickname you have for me, kid?"

     Jeongin put his hand over his mouth, realizing he had said his thoughts out loud. "I'm sorry-"

     "The name's Chan." Newly identified Chan laughed. That seemed to be his response to anything, no matter how much of an insult something seemed to be.

     "So, do you want my name, or are you just going to keep on calling me 'kid'?" Jeongin countered.

     "I'm liking the second option-"

     "Jeongin!" Jeongin turned pink and attempted to retreat to the safety of his bike, wondering how on earth his battle with this Chan guy had turned into some sort of peace offering.

     Not like his bike felt that safe. Jeongin still felt strange pressing his hand into the handlebars, balancing his weight on the seat. It was a lot to get used to.

     "Well, nice to meet you, Jeongin. I'm assuming you're a first-year? How do you like college life?"

     Okay, wow, so this guy was actually starting a conversation. But then again, it wasn't like Jeongin was a total jerk. He could handle this.

     What the heck, Jeongin. Have you totally forgotten that you LIKE talking to people?

     Not this early in the morning, inner Me!

     Oh, PLEASE. You're acting as if your sleep schedule isn't already screwed.

     Point taken from Jeongin's conscience. He sighed and began talking. Whether he liked it or not, he always had a lot to say. His pre-med major was demanding, but he was enjoying it. Staying in Busan to study had been the right decision. He kept in touch with his parents and everything was more or less familiar. Still, now that exams were over and summer break had officially started a week ago, it was a breath of fresh air.

     Chan raised a brow. "What are you doing in a gas station in the middle of nowhere if you live in Busan?"

     Jeongin patted the seat of his bike. "I'm returning this bike to my brother. It was originally his. I left early this morning."

     "Your brother gave you a bike!?"

     "He taught me how to ride it and since I got my license, he trusted me with it," Jeongin said with a shrug.

     Chan's jaw dropped. "Damn... if I ever did something that nice to my brother, he'd think I'm trying to kill him."

     "I'm guessing you don't get along with your juvenile brother?"

     Chan huffed. "More like he hates breathing the same air as me. Believe me, I try. I'm actually heading over to Seoul to see my family again. My brother's also on summer break from his community college, but I bet my left lung that he's going to be fooling around with his new college friends instead of bothering to see his brother again."

     Jeongin rolled his eyes. "I sympathize with him. I passed that phase years ago."

     "Yeah... a phase. Just one that he's been going through ever since he was old enough to acknowledge my existence."

     "Sounds rough, Chan hyung."

     "Thank you for the well wishes, Jeongin. So your brother lives in Seoul?"

     "Pretty much," Jeongin said.

     Chan eyes the bike. "Can I ask why you'd want to return this if he gave it to you?"