The girl walked in and saluted, then stood at attention. He nodded at her. "You wanted to speak to me, Wand-Leader?"

"Yes, sir." She looked determined, but also slightly nervous. Just as she should be. "It's about Jeremiah Brockleton."

"The traitor?" Dawlish had come through, as expected, and found the wizard who had delayed the alert from the Notts.

"I don't think that he is the real traitor, sir." The witch raised her chin slightly. Stubborn.

"Oh? Dawlish found that he sabotaged the Floo, obliviated himself of the memory of his deed, but failed to cover his tracks. His wand revealed the spells."

"I believe that the investigation by the Aurors was a bit prematurely concluded, sir. He had to have been in contact with someone else. The timing of the attack with his shift is too perfect."

"You don't believe it could have been a coincidence?"

"No, sir. There are no coincidences."

Lucius hid his smile at the parroted line. It was good to see that his Wands were as suspicious as they had to be to serve him, even if it was currently a bit inconvenient. "Have you read the report of the investigation?"

"No, sir." Her tone told Lucius that she didn't think the investigation was worth the parchment it had been written on. She wasn't wrong, of course.

"I see. And yet you think the Aurors missed something."

"Yes, sir." Stubborn indeed.

"And you wish to lead your own investigation."

"Yes, sir."

Lucius leaned back. He was certain that the girl would not give up even if he denied her request. The thought of a traitor inside the Ministry was too much too bear, as it should be. Fortunately, this wasn't an unexpected complication. He sighed. "Truth to be told, I'm not too happy with the investigation myself." He hid his amusement at the way her face lit up. So eager, so smart, and yet so easily fooled. "But this needs to be discreet. To undermine the Aurors without concrete proof would be ill-advised in the current situation. Britain needs to stand united in the face of this threat."

The mudblood nodded. "Of course, sir."

"Tell me your plans."

He made appreciative comments while the girl explained her suspicions and conclusions. They were well-reasoned out, even though they were quite wrong. A bit of Legilimency showed that she honestly believed her words, and didn't suspect anyone else. For such a smart witch, her mind was rather easy to read. When she had finished, he nodded. "Your request is granted. You report directly to me, not to anyone else."

"Yes, sir!"

He nodded at her. "Anything else?"

"No sir."

"Very well. Good work, Wand-Leader."

She beamed at him before leaving. Once the door shut behind her, he grinned and shook his head. She'd never find Severus, of course. The man was far too skilled as a spy. But Lucius might have to tell Albert to prepare another patsy. One that would suicide upon capture. Not right now though - it wouldn't hurt to have the little mudblood investigate Lucius's employees for signs of treason. After all, there could be a real mole hiding in their ranks, one Severus didn't know about. And whatever else turned up would make good blackmail material.