"Blessed be god, father of our lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to him for the gift of our brother Otis."

Brother.

Rio thought about his own brother, Jesse, who was still out in the woods all alone. He was sixteen going on seventeen, Rio knew he knew how to take care of himself. Or maybe he didn't, maybe that's why he'd left Rio with his cap, a sort of last memory of him. He clenched the hat tighter in his hand. No. No, no, no.

"For his span of years, for his abundance of character, Otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset. We thank you, God, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in grace.

Shane, will you speak for Otis?"

"I'm not good at it." The man replied, hesitantly looking around. "I'm sorry."

"You we're the last one with him." A woman sobbed. "You shared his final moments. Please. I need to hear. I need to know his death had meaning."

The way she spoke had Rio feeling overwhelmed but he didn't know with what emotion. Confusion, sadness, guilt? Rio thought he now knew why he'd never been invited to a funeral before.

"Okay." Shane gave in. "We were about done. Almost out of ammo. We were down to pistols by then. I was limping. It was bad. Ankle all swollen up. "We've got to save the boy." See, that's what he said. He gave me his backpack. He shoved me ahead. "Run." He said. He said, "I'll take the rear. I'll cover you." And when I looked back..."

Shane stopped recounting his story, everyone knew the ending, even Rio. He wasn't stupid he knew. He knew, he knew, he knew.

"If not for Otis. I'd have never made it out alive. And that goes for Carl too. It was Otis. He saved us both. If any death ever had meaning, it was his." He placed his stone upon the grave.

Rio decided he didn't like funerals. He didn't want to go to one again ever.

***

A few people were crowded around the hood of the car. Daryl, Shane, Andrea, Rick, Hershel and Maggie was approaching.

"How long has this girl been lost?" Hershel asked.

"This'll be day three." Someone replied solemnly.

"County survey map." Maggie announced as she arrived, spreading it across the hood of the car. She placed a rock in each corner, pining it down. "Shows terrains and elevations."

"This is perfect. We can finally get this thing organised." Rick said. "Well grid the whole area, start searching in teams."

"Not you. Not today," Hershel replied, looking back at Rick, "You gave three units of blood. You won't be hiking five minutes in this heat before passing out. And your ankle..." he looked at Shane. "Push it now, you'll be laid up a month, no good to anybody. And you." He turned to Rio, "are a child, you shouldn't even be here."

"Guess it's just me." Daryl mumbled.

"No! I need to go." Rio protested. "I need to find my brother, please."

"Hershel's right," Rick remarked, "you're a child."

"Please—."

"And your hearing. It's dangerous for you."

"But I have these." He lifted his hair to reveal his hearing aids. He'd put them on for the funeral, thought it respectful to listen. "See."

"I'll look for your brother too." Daryl reassured him. "They got lost in the same place, maybe they can be found in the same place."