8

You followed Zhongli in silence, avoiding even looking at him as he led you northeast out of the harbor. You hadn't been this way in so long, and although the terrain had changed drastically since your last visit, you still found yourself reliving a few old memories as you walked.

As a child, you'd spent many days walking between the harbor and your home village, helping your mother sell her wares as a merchant in the city. You couldn't afford to live in Liyue Harbor, which was why you'd always had to make the commute on week days. Even as a young child though, you hadn't complained. You loved walking along through Liyue and seeing the pretty mountains.

You often made up games to play along the way, whether that involved making shapes out of the clouds, counting all the finches you saw, or singing songs as you walked.

The memory was sweet, but it left a sour taste in your mouth, given everything that had happened since. Though you and your mother's lack of mora had never bothered you much as a child, you still recalled how much of a punch in the gut it was when you finally discovered your birth father was the literal god that had created mora.

He never even cared enough to send some to the two of you.

Frowning, you felt your mood worsen even more than it already had from being around the man. Finally, he lead you past some old looking buildings and towards a statue of the seven that was perched between a few hills coming to a stop.

He turned to you expectantly but you didn't make eye contact, instead looking around to where you, as always, sensed Xiao's presence. He seemed to understand what you were doing though, because he cleared his throat.

"Xiao, you may show yourself now." He called, and in an instant, the Adeptus had appeared at his side, arms crossed and eyes looking anywhere but at you. You scoffed, turning away form him.

There were a few seconds of silence before Zhongli sighed again. "I imagine you both must have many questions for me," he began, "I may not be able to answer them all now, but I assure you, I will do my best."

"Can we start with why you faked your own death?" You asked before Xiao could even get the chance to open his mouth, "Or are you still keeping us in the dark on that one?" The brunette inhaled, erasing any hope you might have had that he would be willing to tell you.

"As I said before Y/n," he tried to tell you gently, "You must both trust that I have my reasons. It is all in the interest of Liyue." You grunted in frustration.

"I don't get it." You admitted finally, eyes glaring daggers into the man, "What's your goal here? If it's just to force me into taking your place as Archon, then I'm afraid I wouldn't call that acting in Liyue's best interests."

"I agree," Xiao butted in, making you raise an eyebrow, "Forgive my harshness, but I still have yet to understand why you insist on retiring as it is, sir." He said the last word more quietly, as if unsure what to call the ex-god in front of you both now.

"Just Zhongli will do," the man replied, noticing his hesitation, "And as I have said, everything will work out in time. I would never put Liyue in harm's way."

You didn't say anything to that, knowing all too well that that was true. He never put anything else above his duties as a god, which was what made this all feel so out of character for him.

Xiao stayed quiet too, biting back the numerous protests that begged to spill from his lips. He would speak more with Zhongli later, when you weren't around to witness such a dispute. It would only make you more smug if you did, he decided. When neither of you said anything else, the brown haired man finally continued.

"I realize this is a big change, for both of you," he admitted, "But I once again ask that you trust me-"

"No." You snapped before he could finish, instantly grabbing both their attention.