II. Academic rivals

"I can't believe you'd do this to me!"

A seven-page paper has been slapped against the table. Yuqi kept mum, she's been watching Shuhua go back and forth inside the student council room, saying that line for like seven times now.

And then she goes to rant for another minute about how she doesn't wanna do this— how annoying Miyeon is.

To be honest, this is a daily occurrence to Yuqi's life with Shuhua so she doesn't flinch to any of the insults her best friend throws. Those are pretty harmless anyway.

Yuqi knew Miyeon way before her and Shuhua's rivalry has started, she's done nothing to interfere with them since no one has ever been directly affected other than the two of them. That is until that one particular night where she drunkenly found Shuhua ugly crying in the bathroom—it's a wild night and all of them ended up wasted. The reason? Something that includes Miyeon in it.

It made Yuqi a little mad. Shuhua probably won't remember any of it or if she does she would never dare talk about it.

It's been a month since that night and Yuqi is more determined to execute this plan as smooth as she can. She's been too confident in front of everyone about this but it sinks into the void when she gets all alone because she's also not sure about this and only hope like a loser it would work.

Right now as she watch Shuhua go on her day talking shit about Miyeon, her plan seems like a walk into the moon.

"... I hate her so much! She's been doing this on purpose ugh!" She finishes another five minutes of ranting and groans for the longest time.

Yuqi is so fed up with this.

"Are you done?"

The other girl huffs and nods, now that she's sat she's finally cooling down again.

"This is not just me, Shu." She explained. "This was a collective decision made between the council and the drama club. I know you don't see this but everyone has this vision that both of you would play this role better than anyone."

Shuhua annoyingly looked away, not flattered. It's not really a compliment especially if she shares it with Miyeon. Her arms crossed like a little kid sulking just because she didn't get the sweets she wanted.

"Still, you're the president. You could have just talk me out of this, I'm your best friend yah! Do you want me to suffer or what?"

"Shuhua you already accepted the role, FYI. Why are you still acting like you were taken advantage of or something? You were initially allowed to decline you know? But since you don't wan't Miyeon beating you even in the slightest, you're now forced to act as her lover. I think it's more of a you problem now."

That may have silenced Shuhua for a bit, she allowed the girl to think and reassess her decision.

"I've read the script..." Shuhua breaks the silence, still not batting an eyelash on her. "You're really gonna make us... kiss?"

Yuqi couldn't make out any of her expression because she's looking away, but her tone seems a bit calm to be considered disgusted.

"If that's your problem we can just—"

"I'll think about this first." She stood up, grabbed the script on the table and walked out without a single word.

Contrary to what had ensued a few moments ago, Yuqi spends the next minutes enjoying the calm atmosphere inside the council room. There was no tension between her and Miyeon as they talk about the upcoming project.

Miyeon just arrived twenty minutes after Shuhua walked out and compared to the latter, she is pretty much chill about it.

"Are you sure about this?"