"So, who was that guy yesterday? The one by the bathroom? It looked like you knew him," he asked, interested to know what her relationship was with James.

Harper shrugged her shoulders. "I told you, I don't know."

"You seemed pretty close." His brows lifted with amusement.

"What? Did we? No, No, he-he, was just trying to get pass," Harper tried to convince him.

"Sure," he laughed, "who would have thought the bashful Harper would be trying it with a stranger. Miss ole innocent one over there. Speaking of, have you?"

Harper blushed. "That is for me to know and for you to not."

"Ah, I'm only kidding, babe. It's nothing to be embarrassed about at all. It's admirable," Duke said, leaning over as he gently grabbed her into a side hug. Harper had always felt comfort in Duke's arms. It probably wasn't a surprise that she used to have a crush on him college and had sadly seen him go through girls, whilst giving him dating advice that she had no credibility for. How things have changed, she thought.

TAP. TAP.

Harper jumped back, surprised at the sound of tapping against her window. She felt herself grow smaller and smaller as she caught the appearance of James standing outside the passenger window. Duke aside her, switched on the car, allowing her to press the window down.

"Miss Daniels," he said, firmly with an edge of bitterness.

"Hang on, wasn't this the guy—" Duke began to pitch in.

"Er, I gotta go, pick me up later. I finish around 5," she interjected, squeezing Duke's hand before sliding out of her seat.

Closing the door behind her, she stood awkwardly aside her boss, feeling nauseous at the thought that yesterday had been a thing. Not like it didn't matter. He had found himself in someone's else bed.

"Well, we better be going," he told her, "I have a lot for you to do today," he added, refusing to look her in the eyes before he turned on his heel to head back to the front entrance.

Harper followed behind, shuffling her bagstrap further up her shoulder.

"Who was that?" she heard him mutter quietly.

"A friend," she replied, a little unsure as to his interest.

He didn't say a word after that as they passed through the swarm of people and took hostage of one of the unoccupied lifts that no one else dared to enter in at the sight of the CEO. They stood in silence as the numbers lit up on the dashboard, ascending to the top floor. His eyes remained solidly intact with the floor. She found herself attached to the soles of the feet hoping it wouldn't be long till she could escape his close proximity.

"Why are you making it so difficult?" he suddenly said, barely a whisper. Harper gulped gently as she looked over.

"W-what?"

He didn't say a word anymore as he swiftly closed the space between them, gently pressing himself against her as his fingers brushed against her lips. Her heart was racing even more now as she froze in shock, watching as his eyes studied hers and then her lips.

"What makes you so special?" he muttered, licking his bottom lip as he traced his fingers across her jawline. Harper couldn't speak, move or think as she remained hostage in his presence. Butterflies fluttered around her stomach at the touch of his fingertips. She couldn't help but glance at his lips, secretly hoping he would kiss her, but instead, he pulled back as the lift doors opened without another word.