Chapter 10: The Sports Festival Pt. 1

Tanaka's POV

I walked out of my bedroom and saw Keigo in the kitchen. "Hey, good luck today!" he exclaimed, wrapping an arm around my shoulders, "I'll make sure to be in the audience, ok?"

I nodded and walked out the door. Instinct kicked in and I walked to the bus stop, but then stopped and grit my teeth, 'I don't want to see his face...' I thought to myself while spreading my wings before taking off, opting to fly to school instead.

I entered the waiting room with the rest of my classmates as I finished braiding my hair to rest on one of my shoulders. I sat down and watched my other classmates, quietly observing them. 'Alright, you got this...' I thought to myself.

"Midoriya," Todoroki called out.

"Yeah? What is it Todoroki?" he asked.

"Looking at it objectively, I'm stronger than you," Todoroki stated.

'That's mean...' I thought to myself before thinking back to the first proper conversation we had where he pointed out his desire to defeat Midoriya due to his similarities and likely connection to All Might. Other people began stepping up, calling Todoroki out, but then Midoriya agreed with him, stating that regardless, he was going to try his best against Todoroki. Kirishima then stepped forward and asked, "Dude can't you just chill out? We're all friends here."

Todoroki then glared at him and said, "We're not here to make friends."

When he said that, I could feel my heart sink. 'Did he not mean it then...? Is he not my friend anymore...?' I thought to myself, the wound of losing Shinso's friendship opening again. As mad as I was at him, I still deeply missed his friendship and couldn't bear the thought of losing another friend. Tears gathered in my eyes as I stared at him with betrayal. He glanced at me and his eyes softened. "You're still my friend..." he whispered.

My heart calmed down and I nodded, relieved. Before I knew it, it was time for us to walk out into the stadium. People were cheering loudly as we walked out to the center of the arena. The rest of the classes joined the field, and out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a familiar head of messy purple hair. I grit my teeth and turned away, facing Midnight. 'Is it really appropriate for an R-rated hero to teach high school and be in charge of a high school event...?' I thought to myself, blushing slightly at her scandalous uniform. She then announced the representative from our year to give the student pledge as Bakugo. I cringed, knowing he was probably going to say something that would bring a lot of negative attention. "I just wanna say... I'm going to win," he said.

'Fucking knew it,' I thought to myself, noticing that he had locked eyes with me. I nodded, accepting his challenge. He smirked and walked off the stage as Midnight then announced the first event. "An obstacle race? Well I guess I'm gonna win this one," I mutter to myself.

We all get in position to start and I opted for a spot in the back. I stretched out my wings and as soon as she said start, I took off, flying through the tunnel over everyone's heads. Todoroki froze the ground, keeping many people in place, but a lot of our class broke free and escaped. I kept flying, catching up to Todoroki, when I spotted our first obstacle.

'A zero pointer? Man these guys are pulling out all the stops,' I thought to myself as I released some flaming feathers, shooting them at my target as Todoroki froze them. We both took off, realizing that we are probably the other's main opponent. "Look at this! Class 1-A's Todoroki and Tanaka have taken the lead!" Present Mic shouted, "As expected from the relatives of two of the top 3 heroes!"

We kept going, reaching the next obstacle, which was a bunch of pits with ropes connecting the land masses. 'Well this is easy,' I thought as I glided over the obstacle. Todoroki fell behind slightly and I reached the next obstacle, the mine field. "Class 1-A's Tanaka leads the pack by a large margin! I don't think we compensated for a winged student when making these challenges..." Present Mic remarked as I made my way through effortlessly. 

I looked back and saw that Bakugo was flying through the air, catching up to me. "Don't you dare think you're going to win!" he shouted, firing an explosion at me. 

It hit my wing, causing me to falter slightly and fall closer to the ground, but I didn't stop flying. I then heard a massive explosion in the back, but ignored it in favor of winning against Bakugo. I sped up slightly, edging ahead of him, when suddenly I felt a foot land on my back, causing me to fall into a mine. "Woah! Class 1-A's Midoriya just used Tanaka as a stepping stone and pushed her into a mine! Talk about ruthless!" Present Mic announced.

The explosion was small and painless, but it slowed me down a lot. I quickly got back up and started running, taking off flying again, noticing that I was once again neck and neck with Todoroki. I looked ahead and saw Midoriya running through the finish line.

I reentered the stadium just behind Bakugo, claiming third place. I landed and looked around at the screaming fans, happy in my accomplishment of even making it to third. I stretched out my wing and winced, 'The heat of the explosion Bakugo caused didn't hurt much, but damn did the force of it suck!' I thought to myself, ruffling my feathers. Midnight then announced the next game as a Cavalry battle, also announcing our point values. 'Well, I guess I'm glad I didn't get first now,' I thought to myself, glancing over at Midoriya, who had been assigned 10,000,000 points. I looked around, thinking about who to team up with. I then felt a hand on my shoulder and turned around, seeing Todoroki. "Would you like to be on a team with me?" he asked.

I nodded and we gathered our last two teammates, Iida and Yaoyorozu. "Alright, here's the plan. Iida, you'll be our front horse. Yaoyorozu, you'll be on the right serving as defense, and if you could make yourself and Tanaka some roller blades, you'll be able to let yourselves be pulled along by Iida's speed instead of needing to try to keep up. As for Tanaka, you'll be on the left attacking with your flames and your feathers," Todoroki explained.

"I can also steal headbands with my feathers," I stated.

He nodded and Iida said, "And you'll be on top attacking with ice and fire, right?"

Todoroki shook his head. "That's why Tanaka is on the left so she can attack with fire. I will never use my flames in battle," he explained, glancing up into the crowd with a glare.

We got into position and Midnight announced the start of the round. We made our way through the crowd, heading toward Midoriya's group. I sneakily used my feathers to steal the headbands of unsuspecting opponents, handing them to Todoroki. Midoriya lands from flying through the air due to the help of a support course student that was on his team and Todoroki tells me to launch flaming feathers everywhere, so I do, distracting all our opponents. He then freezes all of them, except for Midoriya's team, and Iida then tells us to hold on tight. Moments later, everything becomes a blur and next thing I know, we are on the other side of Midoriya's team.

They stare at us in shock for a moment and I notice that Midoriya no longer has his headband. 'Yes!' I think to myself, smiling. As they race toward us, I could feel the presence of power in Midoriya's arm. I flinched slightly, my wings sparking up and reflexively sending feathers forward to protect myself. I looked up and saw that Todoroki's left arm did the same, only for his arm, flames, and my feathers to be blown away by a strong gust of wind caused by Midoriya. He grabbed a headband and so did Tokoyami, but I was too stunned to do anything about it. The game ended with us in first place, but I was left staring at Midoriya, very intimidated by the power that was surging through his arm.