There was a gentle knock on the door, and a pair of servants came in and dropped off a big silver tray of sandwiches.

Asher nudged me, his face enquiring and I laughed and nabbed a couple sandwiches from the tray. They were roast beef with gravy, still warm. He bit into it eagerly and the sauce slipped down his chin. He darted an embarrassed look at me and I bit back a grin.

“You’re allowed to be hungry,” I told him. “You just got stabbed on account of me.”

Nearby, Charlotte was digging into the sandwich platter .

“Alright.” Loki said firmly. “Tomorrow we’ll send our soldiers out into the woods and begin questioning everyone in the palace, I don’t like it, but it has to happen.”

Megan took his hand, twining her fingers into his. “The people will understand.”

“But for now.” Charlotte climbed to her feet slowly, brushing crumbs off her gown. “For now, we should all get a good night sleep and try to relax. Our young prince needs to regain his strength, and so do I.” She gave me a sharp look. “And Jessica here isn’t showing it, but I’ll wager she’s exhausted too. It’s bed time for all of us.”

She was right. When I got to my feet my knees felt watery. Asher reached out and gave my hand one last squeeze. “You’ll be okay…?”

I thought I heard something in his voice. Something like…longing? I felt it too, that and unease at leaving him. I’d been so close to losing him. Really, all I wanted to do was climb into Asher’s bed and snuggle with him, to run my hands over the length of his torso and feel it firm and whole beneath my fingers. I knew Charlotte had healed him. He was fine, but I still felt sick at the thought of the wound he’d suffered, all from rescuing me from my stupid mistake.

“I’ll be fine.” I tried to make my voice firm and reassuring. “You…how do you feel?”

“I’m great.” He gave Charlotte a smile. “She did a good job. I feel totally normal.” He succumbed to a jaw-cracking yawn. “Just…really tired.”

“We’ll let you get some sleep then.” I released his hand reluctantly, and followed the others as they left the room, shooting him one last look over my shoulder before I closed the door behind us.

“Alright?” Lettisha was still supporting Charlotte. “Can you get to your room okay?”

“I’ll be fine. It’s just down the hall. I can get there alright, thanks.”

Loki and Megan insisted on walking me to my room though, and we stopped at the door. Megan clasped my hand, her face concerned. “I can see that you blame yourself, Jess. But please know that no one else does. Try not to be too hard on yourself. You were only doing what you thought was right. There is never any shame in wanting to save someone.”

Tears prickled my eyes, and I blinked hastily. “But I didn’t…save her I mean. She…” I tried to block out the picture that flashed in front of my eyes. The red gash in Kloe’s pale neck, the way she’d gurgled frantically and collapsed, blood bubbling out from the wound as she’d died. I felt sick again suddenly, and had to brace myself on the doorframe.

Megan’s pale brows drew together. “Are you alright? Come, let’s get you in bed.” She directed a look at Loki. “I’ll see you later.”

He patted my arm sympathetically and gave his wife a peck on the cheek before disappearing down the hallway. Megan guided me to the wide, four poster bed, helping me sit down. “I was like you when I first…discovered all this. I’d never seen a fight before. I’d never seen anyone die.”