Chapter 97 - Tea Talks and Trauma Talks (in a way)

Începe de la început

Medda faced Snowflake again. "Your second in command is taking care of your borough for you, with the help of your third and forth," she reminded her. "The doctor said you're on bed rest for at least three weeks. And if it didn't hurt, why are you clutching your stomach?"

Snowflake frowned. "At least I don't have a crutch," she commented, side-eying a certain blond-boy.

Race rolled his eyes at her playful jab. "At least I didn't get stabbed."

Snowflake raised an eyebrow at him. "Aren't you supposed to be not talking?" she questioned.

"Let's be real here, Snowflake." Race looked at her. "Does keeping my mouth shut seem like an ability I've ever processed?"

Snowflake breathed out a laugh, hunching over a bit to hold her stomach as if to try and stop it from hurting more.

Medda sighed deeply. She walked over to Snowflake.

Snowflake noticed her walking over and tensed.

Medda paused when she noticed the girl get uncomfortable. She held her hand out for her.

Snowflake tilted her head. "What?" she mumbled.

"May I show you to my dressing room?" Medda asked. "It may be better for you to not be alone right now. That way, I can make sure you're not hurting yourself, and you'll have company."

Snowflake looked at her hand again, then slowly reached out and took her hand.

Medda smiled. "Come on, darling. Let's get you resting again," she told her, starting to lead her to her dressing room. "I know you leaders like to act tough and like you're not in pain, but getting stabbed hurts."

Snowflake grimaced. "Do you know that first-hand, Miss Medda?" she questioned.

Medda smiled. "That is a question you'll never know the answer to."

Race watched them start walking and turned to tiptoe away. He hadn't even put his crutch down to take a step when Medda spoke again.

"Come hither, Antonio. You're not getting out of this."

Race sighed. "I was so close."

"No, you weren't."

Race frowned. "Coming, Miss Medda." He turned and started to crutch after them. "How does Charlie do this daily?"

Medda chuckled.

Medda lead the two Newsies to her dressing room and helped them both sit down and get comfortable.

Medda turned to Race. "Could I get you some tea for your throat?" she asked.

Race quickly shook his head. "No, no, it's okay, Miss Medda."

Medda narrowed her eyes at him. "Mhm... I'll be back." She left the room.

Snowflake snickered. "She totally knows you're just saying that so you don't bother her," she commented.

Race sighed. "She usually does." He leaned back against the back of the seat.

"So, is she like your guys' mother or something?" Snowflake asked curiously.