THE NIGHT MARKET

MAHARAJ AYUDHIK

I looked at the papers blankly before signing and stamping them away. Approved. Reading and stamping the paper had now become a monotonous task. Same with fighting, training, killing and living. Everything nowadays feels boring to death. "Maharaj" I heard Sulekha's voice as she shook me vigorously due to being caught off guard I early fell off the chair.

"What ?" I asked irritatedly and readjusted the misplaced things on my desk. "What is the last thing you heard ?" Sulekha asked me with her hands on her waist looking down at me with her forked tongue flickering outside. She is angry and the reason for anger is probably me. I gulped down before answering.

"When did you come in ?" She took in a deep breath and plopped down on the couch in front of the desk. "You went to propose to Princess Chitra and on main time chickened out. Entire bureaucracy is thinking they did something wrong and living on there toes. If this continues half of them will die of fear."

I gave her a tired look and turned my attention back to the memorials. The food supplies had finally arrived yesterday and now are safely tucked away in granaries. The distribution will start after two days. The merchant ships from east will arrive at coast after three weeks. Alot of treasures can't be exchanged for weapons and cotton.

"Maharaj pay attention to me or else you will die single. " Sulekha half yelled at me breaking me from my mental distractions. I finally put down the swan quill from my hand and looked at her. She took a deep breath as if to calm her anger.

"The people of this region use to hold a huge puja in honor of local deities every fifty years. The fair and celebrations will last for an entire month. The night market is very famous. You offer to take her out. I will handle Nandini."

I nodded. Of course the royal treasury donated alot of money I had already decided to go on a inspection now I can just go with Chitra. I nodded like a duck. She glared at me till I actually left.

------------

Unlike everyday when she was sitting outside this time to meet her I had to scale her balcony to meet her. She looked at me totally shocked. She turned her eyes back and forth between me and the door. "Maharaj... You.. here.." she stammered.

"Oh it's nothing. I thought if you would like to visit the night market with me." She blinked like a foolishly as I stood there. " If you like. I would wait for you near the southern gate." I replied and jumped away without waiting for an answer. Unaware that Sulekha is cursing my seven generations for lack of common sense.

------------

I looked at the crescent moon's position and then at the fire burning on the Surya Mahal from my position near the South gate. Since it is located near the rear end of the fort facing forest it is generally not well guarded by palace soldiers but members of Vijay Sena who are already driven away by me.

I was shrouded in cloths of commoners. The one I wore for most of my life. Looking in the direction of Chand Mahal with eager eyes. Waiting for her to come. Although she can refuse if she wants I want her to me. Sulekha must have distracted Nandini while I ordered my people to ignore her actions. If she decided to come she won't have any obstacle.

After a lot of time I found a figure wrapped in a shawl walking towards me with a lantern enlightening her beautiful eyes. She looked around and smiled at me. I didn't know that I looked like an idiot to her with stupid grin on my face. "We should get going." I said as I took the lantern from her hand and carefully guided her towards the small passage behind the tree I am standing against.

I took her to the carriage I had prepared before hand. I motioned her to sit inside as I myself took the reins of the horses. She looked at me in bewarement. I ignored her look and turned the horses towards the night market.

--------------

I stood beside Chitra as she got down from the carriage.  Her eyes brimming with curiosity and excitement. "So this is what the outside of palace walls look like." She mumbled but I caught her. Then I remembered unlike Devgiri and other southern kingdoms where men and women stand on equal or almost equal status. The disparities are visible to naked eyes in the northern states. Especially to the married woman they are extremely harsh. I don't think Chitra had ever stepped out of the fort before.

I turned my eyes at her as we stepped into the crowded market place. I put my arm a bit away from her shoulders trying to save her from bumping shoulders with others as we walked towards the temple. It was glistening like a lamp at night. Nothing on the market caught my eyes except her.

--------------

"Prasad." She said as she handed me the grated coconut and sugar. Apparently only women can enter the deties temple during the festival men can only wait outside. This whole half hour felt like an eternity. "Shall we visit the night market now." I asked as she smiled and nodded. I escorted her there.

She eyes practically glazed with light as looked at the collection of clay bangles and different anklets. Each with more simple craftsmanship than other. But I had no knowledge about them. After all the womenfolk of Vijay Sena never wore or brought such accessories and Sulekha dressed in her own unique style while Alekhya only wore gold, silver, diamonds and pearls. Anything else is beneath her. How can I understand the allure of these simple clay bangles and simple bell anklets.

But still after looking at Chitra they suddenly felt more beautiful than the best jewellery prepared by the craftmen of Devgiri. "This will look good in you." I said pointing towards the set of navy blue bangles and latger silver bell anklets. They will go very well with her current blue green sari.

She is dressed like a commoner. Simple yet elegant. She sat in the wheel and played the small games arranged there. I had no intrest in anything other than that. As the night deepend we started our journey back to palace.

"Does it feel nice outside ?" I asked as I drove the horses a bit faster. "It felt free." She replied still playing with the flowers in her basket. Her eyes breaming with happiness. "Then you can ask Sulekha or Nandini. When you want to come out you can ask her to asscort you." I said casually making a note to make use of my personal guards who are going nothing currently.

"Really Maharaj. I am really not restricted in the palace." She asked with happiness in her voice. "You can go where you want Princess till you have someone to protect you. I will ask Sulekha to issue a pass for you smooth passage." She sat back in the carriage with a grin in her face.

-----------------

I signed as I stepped inside my chambers. The curtains were drawn and the candles were blown off. Totally shourded in darkness unlike my life were I am happy. I removed my cloths and leaned back on my bed to sleep. But before sleeping I tried to extend my senses as far as I can.

In the last few weeks they have grown out of proportion even more than exponentially. I can easily cover half of the fort. Like every night the gaurds are on there patrol and everything else is silent but then I felt a presence on eastern walls. It felt as if it was practicing something. I removed it's thoughts and slept.

But then again as soon as I opened my eyes subconsciously after checking Chitra's location I felt the same presence on Eastern wall. It was as if it was still practicing there. But entire night. I got up the light had appeared but the sun is yet to rise.

I immediately went to the eastern wall to visit this diligent person who has dedication to practice entire night away while others are sleeping. I slowly slipped towards the walls to find Reteka practising with a long wooded stick in her hands. Doughing, attacking, defending and sometimes faking all in front of an imaginary enemy.

Her skills had grown by leaps and bounds it's a same I don't know how to properly weild weapons. Maybe I should ask Alekhya. She will love to have an apperitance who can take over her skills. I turned back towards the palace to remuse my everyday duties unaware that Reteka had caught my presence when I showed up which shouldn't be possible.