chapter 07: 𝐈𝐊𝐀𝐖 𝐀𝐓 𝐀𝐊𝐎

AT THE SILENCE of Shinichiro's large bedroom, only his heavy breathing was audible. His wife, the queen, sits beside his head with a wary look, one Shinichiro badly wants to erase but is too weak to even attempt.

His condition is growing worse over a few months and the doctors have lost hope in ever seeing the king recover. It's such sullen news to bear, especially when he was still so young and the kingdom has yet fully recovered from recent conflicts.

It's difficult to think about the kingdom while at the same time, praying for death to come a little later. Ever since childhood, Shinichiro was always taught to think about the kingdom above anything else, even himself.

That is why even in a cruel situation like this, he is still standing as king in whatever way he can while the queen is in the front line.

He is worried that the queen may be taking too much of the burden but she had insisted that he remained at rest while she dealt with the matters of the kingdom. They were truly inseparable from the very beginning, what more now in a situation where they call on each other's trust and support.

The double door was deliberately pushed open by the men who guarded his quarters and along came two teenagers who he had seen grown from energetic children to mature individuals.

Though the two of you may have been destined to be wed, it makes Shinichiro's heart warm to know that even in those circumstances, the two of you found meaning in your relationship. Difficult, yes but in the end, the two of you discovered something far more meaningful.

Born in a family where every decision for you was made by another person, there was hardly any freedom. It may well be another Marriage of convenience for the crown but perhaps, this was different.

Two people in this arrangement hardly meet eye to eye. That was the case with you and Izana before. But seeing as how the two of you interact now is truly amusing.

The two of you approached him by the bed and you curtsy out of formality, even after the countless times Shinichiro scolded you not to. He wanted you to see him as an older brother, not a distant king.

This time, Shinichiro merely smiled at you weakly, unable to do so much.

"Brother, how is your condition?" Izana didn't raise his gaze from the marbled floors, expecting to see the heartbreaking sight of his brother's condition.

"Never been better." Shinichiro found the time to joke, even when his throat is sore and weak. He covers his mouth, turning away.

"Your majesty," his wife called out softly, supporting him and bringing him some water. "You should be resting. Your condition is only getting worse." She insisted, voice filled with desperation.

Izana was quick to reach out a hand but Shinichiro stopped him. "I want to tell you something important, Izana." His tone was now firm despite his weak state.

Shinichiro nodded at the queen and she stared at him with reluctance before she nodded back with similar determination.

"I believe it is better if we tell you this, your highness." She told him. "So the two of you may be able to prepare."

Their actions made you and Izana worry, expecting to hear more bad news as it was all there was for the last few months. "Prepare for what, My queen?" You asked for Izana who remained quiet.

"For the succession of the crown," Shinichiro answered.

Izana's eyes widened and so did yours. The tension in the room grew and questions appeared in both of your heads yet failed to the find courage to ask.