𝟏𝟎| 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐤𝐨𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬

CHAPTER TEN:

THE SOKOVIA ACCORDS

A DAY OR so had passed between the mission with Rumlow, and the heroes found themselves sitting in a meeting room in the Avengers Facility with Tony Stark and Secretary Ross, who stood at the foot of the table

Pietro sat in-between his sister and girlfriend, Natasha sitting on the other side of her daughter. Softly, Pietro caressed the back of his girlfriend's hand as their hands had been clasped together underneath the table.

Secretary Ross sighs. "Five years ago... I had a heart attack... and dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass... I found something forty years in the Army had never taught me. Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us... protected us, risked your lives... but while a great many people see you as heroes... there are some... who would prefer the word "vigilantes"."

"What word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asks.

"How about "dangerous"?" Secretary Ross responds. "What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals... who routinely ignore sovereign borders... and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind? New York." A video then appears on the screen of the battle in New York between the God of Mischief. "Washington, D.C." Another video appears, showing the battle between HYDRA and the Winter Soldier. "Sokovia." The battle between Ultron pops on the screen. "Lagos."

Another video appears, showing the mission they had just been on. Wanda immediately looks down upon seeing the lifeless or injured people, which Pietro, Y/n, and Steve all notice.

"Okay. That's enough." Steve orders.

Secretary Ross glances over his shoulder, nodding at the man behind him, who obeys, shutting the TV off.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." Secretary Ross begins, placing a book on the table, to which the heroes look through it, then passing it around. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by a hundred and seventeen countries... it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead... they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel... only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place." Steve recalls. "I feel we've done that."

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Secretary Ross questions, getting no response. "If I misplaced a couple of thirty megaton nukes... you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."