𝐈

With the death of Ivan and his dragon Redfyre in 84 AC the last dragon which belonged to house Asaris was gone. And so his son Jahaeryn took his place as ruler at the age of four under the advise of a trusted maester. However, unlike his ancestors before him no songs would be sung for he was neither a good nor a bad king.

The people of Versain prospered under his reign as few conflicts arose in his time, he was well trained in both combat and the arts. As a result, many lords of high and low nobility offered up there daughters to him, knowing he had a powerful family name.

Though all lords attempts at a betrothal were futile as his sights were set only one woman; Alanna of house Martell. A joyous celebration ensued at the announcement of their betrothal. Jahaeryn was never cruel to his wife, but it was clear he did not think of her as his equal. His ambition was to see house Asaris restored to the days of old, something which he would never attain.

In 105 AC a year after their wedding the couple announced that they were expecting an heir. However the pregnancy was tiring for Alanna and the labour was painful, and when the babe was finally born no cries sounded, for he was stillborn

In 109 AC people began to assume that the king would not produce an heir and given he was already nine and twenty however these worries were put to rest when that very year the queen fell pregnant again. However the woman began her labours to early and the young boy did not survive.

Gossip had began to spread that Alanna was barren. Maesters begged that Jahaeryn cast the woman aside and find a new wife however these pleas fell on deaf ear.

Perhaps the gods took pity upon the two as in the early months of 114 AC the queen fell pregnant once more.

The history books reported that the pregnancy was easy- that the queen was in good health and happy. People praised the gods that the queen was once again pregnant and they prayed that the child would survive.

━━━━━━━━━━

"Push you grace" a wet nurse said as she wiped a wet cloth across Alana's face.

In reply the woman let out yet another shrill scream, her lady's looked down upon the woman in fear, if this birth were to go wrong they were unsure if she would survive.

"I see a head!" Another nurse yelled in excitement. The mother attempted to let out a laugh of happiness instead it came out as a pained grunt as she continued to push the babe out.

With a final push the babe was finally born after hours of laborious pushing. The mother began to cry in happiness as the baby let out an almighty cry.

She held her hands out as she smiled at her babe.

"A girl your majesty" Her lady said to both her and her husband who had now entered the room. The father smiled fondly down at the girl.

"Matilda" he muttered as he gazed down at the child. His wife watched him in sadness as he looked down at the child with coldness in his eyes.

"Leave us" he commanded, causing everyone to scramble out the room. The woman looked up at her husband questioningly as she continue to rock the child in her arms.

"Many moons ago Otto Hightower and I came to an agreement that it would be best for the realm of my babe were to grow up in kings landing." The mothers eyes hardened as she held onto her babe tighter.

"And you thought that you could just hand my babe over without consulting me!" Jahaeryn looked at his wife knowing she already knew the answer.

"We will have a few years to spend with our daughter, then Matilda will go to Kings Landing under the protection of Ser Mannix"

"She isn't a political bargaining tool, she is a child!"
Jahaeryn had hoped he would be able to calm his wife with sweet words- however as he looked into her eyes, he knew it would take more than that.

━━━━━━━━━━

Matilda had grown up doted on, the people adored her soft violet eyes, and they spoke often of her inquisitive behaviour.

For a child of three, the girl often found her self in an unusual amount of trouble. Ever since she had learnt to walk there was no stopping her. One time, much to the horror of her mother and carers, the girl had wondered of from her wet nurse who had turned away for a short time. Eventually the girl had wondered around the more deserted parts of the castle and had found her way to the armoury.

Luckily, Mannix- her sworn guard- had discovered her roaming the corridors and had scooped her up into his arms before she could find more trouble. He wished he could say that was the last time she had gotten in trouble.

On the day that Matilda and Ser Mannix departed, the Queen had been inconsolable. There hadn't been a day in which Alanna and her mother had been separate. Something the Maester had advised against as he knew she wouldn't be able to cope with saying goodbye.

As for Jahaeryn, his ambition was greater than his love, and after the loss of two babes he couldn't find room in his heart for a daughter who wouldn't remember him, ever since his deal with lord Hightower he had repeated the same words in his head. 'It is for the benefit of the realm' and he had repeated those words until he had no semblance of a doubt that those words were true.

Alanna rarely spoke to him as of late, she resented him for his choices. She thought him cruel, she had experienced the girls firsts words and her first steps. She would forever cherish the young girls giggles and forever remember their moments spent together. Yet, her daughter would not remember her. She felt that the gods had given her the cruelest punishment, two babes dead and one which could never be hers.