Chapter 23: Belles of the Ball

Começar do início

Arthur turned from talking with Hosea, who had met him outside the room. His mouth dropped slightly agape, eyes traveling me up and down gradually before clearing his throat to cover it. "Oh, uh... you look... you're--" 

"What I think he means is, you look beautiful Ms. Monroe." Hosea stepped forward, giving a knowing look between Arthur and I with a grin. "That's certainly your dress. Come on, let's check out and be on our way." 

"Thank you Hosea," I responded warmly, walking towards the cashier. I passed Arthur who was still staring and giggled. "If you take a picture, it'd last longer," I said wryly, nudging his arm. 

"Hosea's right -- you look beautiful," Arthur murmured, then straightened up. "Not that you don't usually, but... I mean--"

"Thank you, Arthur." I smiled and squeezed his arm gently as I passed, leaving him quietly cursing himself under his breath for not having words for once. I had to admit, it was kinda fun to see him like that -- making the stoic, hard-pressed outlaw fumble? Now that had to be something noteworthy. Definitely was enough to give my confidence a boost.

I had begun pulling out my satchel to pay for the lovely dress, but Hosea held up his hand. "On me," he assured, glancing at Arthur and then giving me a wink before stepping out of the store. Flattered, I tipped my hat to the cashier and followed them out.

~~

"This way, please gentleman -- and lady. Signor Bronte will be so pleased that you made it." 

Our group followed a butler up the steps towards the house. We had just handed our guns over to the man at the gate and were entering the manor. As soon as the doors were open, my eyes felt like they bugged out of my head. It was just as extravagant inside as I expected, with a marble staircase and polished flooring and everything. 

"We are honored to be here," Dutch assured. 

"Yes, yes... what a beautiful evening it shall be!" The butler cried, leading us down one of the hallways past the stairs. "Mr. Bronte is very good friends with the mayor, you know..."

I got distracted in the meantime, staring at the beautiful and enormous pieces of art that were stuck to the wall. It was only when I heard my name that my attention was caught again.

"--and Ms. Miller, you'll join Arthur and I to go pay our respects to Mr. Bronte." Without looking back, Dutch waved us along; I quickly sped up, just realizing that I had lagged behind. 

"We'll wait for you on the balcony," Hosea called, pushing open the large doors to the garden with Bill. 

We followed the servant up the stairs and onto a large terrace, where Bronte was waiting with several other well-dressed men. "Ahh, the angry cowboys, you made it... and the lady!" Bronte was as oddly-cheerful as I'd last seen him, flashing his wide grin at us. 

"This is quite the party you've invited us to!" Dutch exclaimed, shaking the man's hand. Arthur followed suit, and then me. I tried to hold eye contact only briefly before looking down while Bronte took my hand and planted a kiss upon it gracefully. I could almost feel Arthur stiffening in the background of my vision. 

"Yes, quite something -- although I'm not sure what," Bronte chided, letting go of my hand and walking to the guardrail. I took the opportunity to slip beside Arthur, following him to the edge where we looked out together. It was a gorgeous garden, both the largest and most well-kept I'd ever seen. A huge fountain lay at the center where dozens of people were milling about in small groups around it and beyond. There was even a quartet of classical musicians playing their instruments in a small gazebo amidst the crowd. 

"So this is Saint Denis high society?" Dutch mused, bracing himself against the guardrail as he looked down. In his oversized top hat and posh outfit, he looked like a true robber baron surveying his kingdom. I got a little uneasy at the thought.