2. ''This doesn't make us friends.''

You hadn't anticipated to be holding Michael's now-broken phone in your hand today. It only makes you wonder what today will bring you. Reading the top message from thirty seconds ago, you knew something wasn't right. His screen is cracked, there are glitching colors at the cracks, and the phone is doing its best but failing miserably to do its job. The five simple phrases that were being tattooed in your brain made your heart drop. ''Michael, we lost the house.'' The sound of clothing implementing next to you sends you off into reality, Michael grabbing the phone from your grasp. You cleanse your throat before exhaling a small amount of air. ''I guess that'll have to be a new phone...'' You try to seem delightful and lighten the weight of the tension in the room, but it only makes Michael angrier. His knuckles brush across his hand, and he slams the phone down ten times harder.

It even makes you flinch as glass bits from the screen fly throughout the classroom. ''Goddamnit! Look at what you did!'' Was he really going to hold you responsible for this? Just as you were ready to feel awful about this gigantic jerk? ''What I did?! Oh, come on, Afton--this isn't even my-'' a spat of his spit spilled on your face, Michael was enraged and taking it out on you. ''SHUT THE FUCK UP!'' You slowly back away, standing just next to him but further away from where you sat. You were about to strike him with one of your sarcastic comebacks when you chose to remain silent in response to the text you just saw. He needed this release, but he didn't need to let it all out on you. ''Michael-'' He slid a rapid hand through his hair before pointing a finger at you, his posture a little unsteady, as if he was going to fall down.

He opened his lips to speak but then turned back to one of the desks and buried his head in his hands. It didn't take long for sobbing to erupt around the room. You were still stunned, stuck in place, unsure of what to do. You'd seen Michael angry, irritated, and even laughing. But today you were faced with two completely unexpected emotions from the one person you believed you could resist the most. You swallowed the thick bulb developing in your throat, and as an even louder sob made its way through, you quickened your pace and laid your hand on his back.

As his muscles tensed and tightened, you were about to pull your hand away, deciding that it was probably the stupidest idea you'd ever had, but when he suddenly relaxed under your touch and muffled his cries even more, you rubbed soothing circles, the fabric of his shirt grooving between your fingers. ''I'm so so sorry, Y/N. I'm so fucking-'' a high-pitched sob escapes his mouth, and the mere mention of your own name did not sit well with you. You never used to call one other by their first name; it was always your last name. It was just something that belonged to you guys, something that began as a joke and was held for a long time. Maybe he had the same strange feeling when you used his first name before he really broke down.

You weren't going to hug him as well. You were already attempting to soothe him in this situation, so you weren't going to be all mushy and throw down your boundaries. This was already much out of your comfort zone. And perhaps that was exactly what he desired or expected. a hug, a simple, warm-hearted hug that could instantly lift the weight he carries, but maybe he also understood that it wasn't going to happen. ''Don't even try to finish that sentence, Afton. I get it,'' you say, biting the inside of your lower lip. ''And maybe I even want to help you in some way...' His head shoots up at that, and the perplexed look on his face makes you snort a little. You could see him wiping away some of his tears, but not totally in cause you were fucking with him.

''What?-'' his voice was gruff and unsteady, almost making you feel guilty. But you may have already felt a tinge of it. Like hell, that would be the only reason for what you were about to offer him, ''I-'' ''God Afton, don't you dare say anything stupid about what I'm about to say next.'' He shrugged, still unsure but his curiosity growing. ''If you wish, you can stay with me... and-'' you exhale deeply, sighing and closing your eyes tightly. ''Not only you but also your father and siblings... I-I could make it work..'' Great, y/n. Stuttering right now? You inwardly facepalm, expecting to be laughed at, but instead, you are faced with a lot closer Michael, his entire focus on you.

''L/N, I swear to you. This better not be one of your crappy jokes right now, because I swear I'm not laughing.'' You gaze at him, taken aback, before gradually relaxing your shoulders. ''I may be cruel, Afton. And I may hope for a variety of things. But I'm not that mean that I wish you were homeless.'' His eyes nearly dug into you, making you feel uneasy. ''I'm not joking, Afton. I promise you.'' His tears had dried, with only a few remaining in the corners of his eyes and his sleeve almost totally flooded, yet you could see a faint smile grow on the side of his mouth. ''L/N- I- You have no idea how much this means to me.'' You snort slightly at his lack of words, but you only pat him on the shoulder slightly. ''Oh please, your father hasn't even agreed yet.'' - ''Speaking of which, I really think you should ask him, or let him know,'' You cautiously pick up the skin on your neck, suddenly feeling very different from before. Happy that you might be able to help them, but a little creeped out that you were offering this to the person you are meant to despise the most.

You haven't even had a proper conversation, and this one clearly doesn't count as one, assuming neither of you knows what to say and you're both as speechless and weirded out by the whole situation, both in different ways, but also in the same ways because you're about to see each other a lot of times right now and partly because you might see each other somehow... shirtless. (at least you with a bra-) Your breathing quickens slightly as you shake your head, attempting to squeeze the thoughts out of your head. And now you're thinking about Michael fucking Afton inappropriately? You almost choke on your own spit as you turn to face Michael, who has this inquiring look on his face as if he has just asked you something or is going to ask you something. But you cut him off before he can finish. ''But, just so you know, This doesn't make us friends.''