1. ''If it isn't Afton.''

''Well well, if it isn't Afton.'' You tease him somewhat, seeing Michael open his locker with a tiny force, hiding himself behind the locker. He's sunk his head, a huge sigh exiting his mouth as he mumbles something quiet. ''Not right now, Y/n. I'm just not in the mood.'' You'd be the one mocking those words to him all the time, despite not being in the mood for any of it a lot of the time. It forces you to slam your door shut, go over a few lockers, and walk to the other side so you can see Michael clearly. 

He had dark bags beneath his eyes that were slightly red in tone. You'd never seen him like that in the four years you'd known him. His walls weren't easy to breach, but watching him in such distress made your gut clench. ''What's up with you?'' you ask softly, glancing at his face, which slowly turns to meet yours. He looked terrible. ''Jezus-'' You exhale a little gasp, resting your hand on the locker next to you and attentively inspecting his face before leaving out a heavy sigh and rolling your eyes at your own silly statement. ''Look. I know this isn't any of my 'enemy' duties, but... I guess you can talk to me.''  You didn't even know why you said those things; it just felt good knowing he wouldn't dare to say them. 

You rest your head on the locker, looking up at Michael, who slowly takes a book from his locker and closes the door behind him. Michael snorted softly, a faint smirk returning to his face, and the understanding made you almost smile as well. A smile on his face was far preferable to a frown. ''Yeah right, L/N. Where did you suddenly buy this personality? Wish?'' Your mouth met agape, and you found yourself slapping his arm playfully with one hand while grabbing your chest with the other, pretending to be humiliated. ''Wow- And to think I was trying to be helpful for once.'' you cross your arms, causing Michael to lean against his own locker, facing you with a much brighter smile. His smile faded far too quickly for your satisfaction, and you felt your own follow suit.

You merely stared at each other before turning away and facing the floor. Your sneakers had become far too tempting. ''I'm serious, Afton.''You were terrified of what he may say, therefore this was not something you would do. Even five minutes ago, you still despised each other. And you still do, despite the fact that this sensation was fresh to you. And you weren't sure if you liked it... 

'' Thanks, L/N. But I'm-'' Loud talk and a swarm of running young people invaded both of your ears, distracting you both - or at least yourself. You looked around at the crowd pressing in on you, almost forcing you up against Michael if it weren't for the phone in his hand. The screen was brightened, and Michael's face became a little too pale, and the three dots developing on his phone screen nearly vanished, replaced by a text message saying, 'Talk later.' You didn't have time to get to the remainder of the messages, and you wouldn't be able to even if everything wasn't upside down for you.

 You could only make the word 'rent' out of it before you were pushed on the ground in a much quieter room, Michael falling straight atop of you, or at least on your arm; Making you groan out loud. You felt the weight of his body on your arm and you tried to push him away, but he was too heavy. His phone flew a couple of meters further, it being the closest to your reach. The boy on top of you let out a little yelp, followed by an angry groan and a roll away from your arm, worsening your discomfort.

You stared over his shoulder, trying to figure out what had brought both of you into a room with nothing but books, a handful of desks, and a lot of windows. But you come up empty-handed. A crowd had gathered outside the open entrance, precisely where the two of you were standing. You lowered your head to the floor, hearing a slow sigh from next to you. Michael, who is lying on the ground with his brows furrowed, appears to have had the same thought as you. You couldn't help but wonder what was in the text message and why it was so urgent. Specifically, why it got Michael so fired up. But another part of you knew it wasn't your business, and you weren't sure why you cared or why you had the moment you stepped into the hallway and saw him go off to your lockers.