22 - Tell Me Lies

Start from the beginning

"So the fire... that wasn't you?" Kaely said weakly, and Genevieve shook her head, concern filling her eyes.

"Campbell's orders for Allison were simple; she was to make sure I would never find you. If it meant risking your life, it was unimportant to them."

"So why didn't you reach out to me?" Kaely demanded, a sour edge to her tone. "If you're really on my side, and you've been threatened this whole time to follow Campbell's orders, then why didn't you come to me sooner? You could have poked your head in some time to assure me you weren't dead. I've been alone."

"You were never alone," Genevieve assured her, picking up her mug again. "I've always protected you. Your graduation from Sacred Heart College; you tripped over your dress when you went up to get your certificate." She chuckled at the memory, but it was a gentle laugh, and a small smile threatened to creep its way over Kaely's lips. She made sure Genevieve didn't see it.

"So... you've always been there?" she asked, a little too hopefully. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"You'd draw too much attention, Kaely," she said as if it were obvious. "I couldn't risk it; if Campbell found out, he'd have you killed immediately. The only reason I've risked it now is because both Campbell and Allison know that you're alive. They are dangerous; Allison will not disobey him."

"Why?" Kaely pressed. "Why is she so eager to kill Wade Smith and you aren't?"

"She doesn't want to kill him," Genevieve admitted. "Just like me, she was threatened. Someone very close to her will be in constant danger until Wade Smith is pronounced dead. We are both very much on the same side, but until he is dealt with no one can be trusted except for me, is that understood? You're not safe with anyone else. Not even those boys, the ones who have been 'protecting' you. They are liars; they will do whatever is deemed necessary to make sure myself, Allison and Richard are all dead, or at least imprisoned. If it means sacrificing you too, they won't hesitate. You need to know that."

Kaely bit her lip. If what Genevieve told her was true, then she knew she couldn't ever talk to the boys or Lexus again. They would use her to make sure they were kept safe; she was expendable. If there was one thing she knew, it was that she didn't know who to trust anymore. Everything Jared told her was right, but only from what he knew. He didn't know that Kaely's mum was doing everything to protect her, and she didn't know that Campbell was also using her to threaten Genevieve. She felt pity for them, realising that they didn't know the full picture. She wanted to tell them that they were wrong about her mother, and about Allison as well; they were all being threatened. Richard Campbell was the one who needed to go down. But as soon as the thought entered her mind, she felt angry. They didn't care about her; why should she care about them?

"I don't want anything to do with them," she seethed, feeling the hate boil beneath the surface of her skin. "They used me. I- I don't know why I'm so angry, but..."

"...you care about them," Genevieve finished quietly. Kaely looked down and didn't say anything. "I understand. Some part of me believes they care about you too; that through their impossible plot, they formed feelings of their own. But it's a big risk to think like that. You can't allow your feelings to get in the way in this line of business. I have, and look where that's gotten me. My husband is dead. My daughter looks at me and sees a stranger. I am being threatened by everyone who knows I am not dead, and to get to me they are going through you. You mustn't make that mistake too, Kaely. If you are tested like I've been, you have to have control over your feelings. Your enemies will not be able to use them against you, otherwise."

"I know."

"Kaely, I never meant for you to get hurt. You were never meant to be involved. I'm sorry they brought you into this, I really am. I hope you forgive me."

She sighed. "I don't know if I can just yet," she admitted. "Clearly, you're my mother, and clearly you're alive. But whether you're telling the truth or not, you've lied to me. My entire life has been one misfortune after another, because you kill people. How am I supposed to forgive you like that?"

Genevieve smiled tightly. "I get it," she said. "I know what you must be going through. I'm not going to force anything on you, alright? As long as you're safe, you can hate me all you want. But I won't let anyone hurt you while you're here."

Kaely leaned back in the armchair, crossing one leg over the other. "And how long will that be?"

"As long as it takes," Genevieve replied, pursing her lips. "No one knows this place exists; it's protected and no one can get in or out without me finding out about it. Until I can be sure no one will be coming after you, you're staying here."

Kaely grit her teeth but didn't argue. There wasn't anywhere else to go; she couldn't go back to the boys, even if she wanted to. And everyone else wanted her dead. The situation considered, she was probably better of staying put, with Genevieve. The woman still unnerved her, but at least she was trying to keep Kaely safe. So what if Eliot, Leo and the others didn't care about her? Once this was over, she wouldn't have to see them again, and she could work on learning to forgive her mother. And yet, somehow, she found her mind slipping back to Jared, and Lexus; even Oliver. What were they doing now? Were they relaxing back at Oliver's place in Roxby? Were they out looking for her? Had they been killed? She knew she shouldn't be worrying about it, but she couldn't help herself. She thought she knew them, and they betrayed her. Yet here she was, thinking about them when she was the last thing on their minds. She had a mother who cared about her enough to let her go, and she was safe from harm. She didn't need anything else. But still she felt an empty hole in her heart, right where Jared had been, and she found herself wishing he hadn't hurt her.

She found herself wishing he'd loved her.

Kaely was still wary about Genevieve's intentions. She had no idea if she was going to be killed or imprisoned if she trusted her mother, and she didn't know who was on her side anymore. The boys and Lexus lied to her about everything she thought she knew about them, and now not even the memories of her mother were remaining. All she knew was that someone wanted her dead.

She didn't know who anymore.

Eventually, she'd expressed these emotions to Genevieve, and the woman decided to give her some space to think.

"I'm not going to manipulate you into believing what's right and what's wrong," she'd told Kaely as they sat down the next morning. "You'll find out soon enough. So I'm going to leave. I have some business to discuss with Allison now that I know you're safe. I'll come back in a few days, after you've had time to yourself; be careful. A lot can happen in a few days."

Kaely didn't know what to reply with, so she didn't speak at all. She feared her voice would betray her, and showing that kind of weakness wasn't something she wanted to do. It was heart-wrenching as it was, to see her mother alive but not recognise her. It could have been harder for Genevieve to look at her daughter, knowing everything about her but being a stranger in her eyes. At her request, Kaely had nodded and looked away. The woman had her bags packed within the hour, which left Kaely with time to get something to eat before she followed Genevieve outside.

"I'll see you soon, hopefully," she told Kaely. "I hope you come to the right conclusion."

It looked as though she wanted to lean forward and kiss Kaely's forehead, but she held back. Kaely was relieved she hadn't; she was still angry at the woman.

And with Genevieve's words hanging like a raincloud in her mind, Kaely watched as her mother sped away from her, wondering if it was the last time she was going to see her. She feared a storm – much like the one in her head – was approaching, and she wasn't sure exactly how she would handle the result.

All she knew was that – for now – she was on her own.