|15|

"Before you say anything, I just want to start off by saying I'm sorry. I know I told you that we weren't anything and while that's mostly true, we did have something going on for like a week. Look at the screenshots I'm sending you. I turned him down like 20 times," I say quickly before Jack can get another word in.

"It was a bad time for me and I was very vulnerable but once I realized I didn't like him, I started ignoring him. I guess he couldn't take the hint and I didn't want to stop being his friend, so we stayed friends. Or what I thought was friends. But what he said was so uncalled for and I'm sorry for putting you in that position," I say, and wait for an answer.

The other end of the phone is silent. I assume he's thinking of how to respond.

"I shouldn't have left, I'm sorry," he sighs, "I just thought you two were dating and I didn't want to get in the way of it."

"Oh no, you did nothing wrong," I shook my head, even though he couldn't see me over the phone, "I don't want him. For knowing me for 2 years, he barely knows me."

"I'm sorry for storming out. Looking back at it now, I should have been more mature," his voice holds a wince.

"Don't be sorry," I chuckle, "I would have done the same."

"Good. So we're both on the same level of crazy," his voice gets serious.

"I guess we are," I sniff, but try to hold back a smile.

"Damnit," he groans.

"What?" My face drops.

"I'm such a dumbass. I shouldn't have left," his voice raises jokingly at the end of the sentence.

"Hey Jack," I say in a calm voice.

"What?"

"You're a dumbass," I whisper.

"Thank you, Mellie."

A chuckle leaves my mouth, and the emptiness of my apartment gives me goosebumps, "You're welcome. You know, it's already too quiet in here."

"You're saying I'm loud?" His voice raises at the end of the sentence.

"Yeah, you are," I nod.

He chuckles, "How could I be the loud one? You were always on that keyboard."

"The volume was turned down as low as it could go," I gesture with my hand but he can't see me.

"Then you have very thin walls," he enunciates the very.

"Great," I suck on my teeth.

"Since my storm out of your apartment, I haven't heard how your songs have been coming. Tell me."

I bite my cheek, "Our song is trending on TikTok."

Shit shit shit shit shit shit

"Our song?" He questions.

"You know," I bite my lip thinking of something to say, but I sing instead, "she toes the line between them. He says he's new at this. There's holy ground beneath them, and sparks fly when they kiss."

"That's our song?" I can hear his smug self smiling.

"Meaning I wrote it when I was around you. In the hotel, on the airplane, 3 a.m. while you were sleeping. It's been a journey." I say quickly.

"Well," he sniffs, "I'm glad to be apart of it. Really, I should be put as a producer or something."

"Do you want to?" I chuckle.

"Hell yeah," he says, "I've been thinking about it. Jacque Winner. Get it, like Jack Champion."

"Wow that's truly an amazing name," I nod, "great choice."