Chapter 1

What is music? Music is a form of art and expression that uses sound, rhythm, and harmony. But what music is, really? For me, it's my soul. My life, my way of breathing, and my peace. Music is like air that whispers during the spring. It is the warmth when you're under the sun and tip-tapping of the rain. The sparkling of water as it goes down the river. The echo in nature.

Since ancient times, music is the way for people to connect with their beliefs. To call upon Gods and Goddesses. Use in prayers and rituals. Gives spirit to dances. The emotions we express. The happiness and grief. Music is everywhere. And I can be here without it. Without hearing the soft rhythm coming from my strings, I am not Eirinnah.

I watch the crowd disperse in front of me as soon as I lowered my violin down. The waves rushed to hug the shore as the wind blow the hem of my skirt. It was another day in this wonderful town and I just made it better. Slowly leaning down to the case, I carefully placed my instrument in its casket. Hearing the click of locking, I stand up from the sand and watched the beach one more time.

I look at the time on the watch bound onto my wrist. Napangiti na lamang ako bago tuluyang tumalikod at naglakad paalis ng buhangin. When I reach the road, I tapped my shoes to get rid of the sand. Napaanagat ako ng tingin sa kotseng tumigil sa harapan ko. The window slid open, revealing Erix who was gripping the wheels and looking at me with a smile.

His hair was brushed towards the back, revealing his clean undercut and that small earing pierce on his earlobe. Beside him sat Elio who just looked like him. Halata namang kambal sila, hindi ba? Unlike Erix, his hair looks messy. Nakalimutan na naman yata niyang magsuklay o baka tinatamad lang. He was wearing the jersey of our Academy’s varsity player. May hawak siyang bola na kanyang pinapaikot sa dulo ng kanyang hintuturo.

Though my brothers are twins, they both have different tastes when it comes to stuffs. Elio is athletic while Erix is a math and science genius. Elio’s hair was dyed in colors (for now it’s blonde) while Erix’s was black and if he is in the mood to dye it, he choses dark colors. And yes, the school doesn’t mind us wearing accessories and coloring our hair. Maliban nalang kung criminology or military related ang pinapasukan mo. Some students in our school wears tattoo too basta ba 18 years old and above ka.

“Ira!”

Tawag ni Elio bago bumaba ng kotse saka pumunta sa kinaroroonan ko. He took my violin and opened the door for me. Napangiti naman ako sa kanya bago pumasok sa loob. He carefully put the violin on the floor before pulling the seatbelt and wrap it on me. Alam niyang hindi ako yung tipo ng tao na mahilig magsuot ng seatbelt kaya siya na ang gumawa para sa akin. He gave me a warning look bago isinara ang pintuan saka bumalik sa passenger seat.

“Alam mong safety first dapat lagi Zyra.”

Erix looked at me on the front mirror. His words made me grimaced. Over protective brothers. Kina-career talaga nila lagi yung pagiging pangalawang magulang pag wala sina Mommy at Daddy. Dinaig pa mga yaya. Kaya hindi problema ng magulang namin ang maghanap ng yaya dahil sa kanila. Well, It’s not that I need one anyway.

“So what time is your game again?”

“15 hundred.”

Sagot ni Elio na tinanguan lamang ni Erix habang ang mga mata ay nakapako sa kalsada. Erix came after Elio but he acts like the oldest among us. He was the one taking down notes of everything, making sure that everything is organized and in place.

“Still up for the party later?”

“Syempre naman. And besides, Zyra and her band will be the one playing in restaurant tonight.”