"Professor, please.  Don't do this."

"This cannot be, Madeline!" sputtered McGonagall. "I've never even heard you say a cross word against anyone, and now you tell me that you support He Who Must Not Be Named? That you knowingly lie with a Death Eater and murderer every night in your bed?"   

"Perhaps you don't know me as well as you thought, Professor," Madeline said softly, a coldness creeping into her tone. "After all - you thought you knew my husband, didn't you?"

McGonagall's eyes flashed. "You've got me there, lass."

"Will you please release me, Professor?"

"At least afford me the courtesy of answering one question."

"I'll try."

"Is he hurting you? Physically, I mean?"

Madeline's temper flared, but she caught herself before she lashed out in anger. 

"No, Professor," she answered, her voice controlled and even.  "He isn't hurting me.  He would never, ever hurt me.  I promise you that."

McGonagall stared at her for a moment, then flicked her wand and the ropes disappeared.  Madeline bent slowly to pick up her own wand and slid it inside her sleeve as a signal to McGonagall that she would not retaliate.

"I suppose you'll tell Snape about this." Her voice was brittle and bitter.

"I tell my husband everything, Professor, but there's no need to worry.  Regardless of what you think of him, he loves me and will appreciate your concern for me.  As do I."

McGonagall narrowed her eyes, studying Madeline carefully.

"I mean it, Professor.  The loss of your friendship has been difficult to bear.  For Severus and for me."

"Madeline..."

"Good night, Professor."

Madeline turned on her heel and disappeared down the unlit passageway, leaving Minerva McGonagall staring after her, deep in thought.

...

Angry and shaken, Madeline continued on her way to Snape's private potions lab.  As she whispered the password, her hands were trembling – whether it was from fury or frustration or sadness, she could not say.   She was touched that McGonagall went to such lengths to offer to help her and relieved that she did not believe Madeline was a dark witch, but it concerned her greatly that the older woman might see through their façade.  It could place them all in grave danger if McGonagall discovered the truth. Madeline also had to admit that it pained her deeply to hear the obvious hatred in her voice when she referred to Snape. 

She took a deep breath and went to the supply cupboard.  She had to put the scene with McGonagall out of her mind.  She had to clear her head and focus. 

She had a greater purpose.

For a brief moment, the memory of Severus making love to her in this very cupboard came to her and she smiled to herself.  She could still feel his hands on her body, taste him, smell his unique scent – herbs and oak and fire whiskey.

For him.  She must do this for him.

As Madeline selected the ingredients she needed, her mind turned to the task at hand.  She couldn't pinpoint exactly why this antivenom was so important to her, but something – some supernatural force – was speaking to her, revealing to her that it was vital to complete this mission. 

She carried her supplies to the table and laid them out neatly, then went to the shelves on the wall, standing on tip toes to reach Severus's largest cauldron.  She waved her hands to light a fire underneath it and poured in standard potioning water.  When it had reached a hard boil, she reached into her pocket and pulled out the vial of Nagini's venom, laying it carefully aside while she crushed the unicorn horn.