"But seriously, Cloud, thanks a lot for all your help! You're the best sister that anyone could ask for," Starlingpaw mewed, giving a grateful look to her sister. She she touched noses with Cloudpaw, who gave a soft purr in response.

As Minkpaw leaned forward to stretch, she caught sight of her mentor approaching the Clan leader, Dovestar. The young apprentice straightened up immediately and leaned toward the two older cats, trying to catch parts of their conversation, even though she was rather sure what they were going to say.

Cloudpaw caught notice as well and pricked her ears to listen, but soon enough Snowcloud had walked away from Dovestar and neither of the siblings had managed to hear anything.

Hissing softly, Minkpaw turned away and settled into a nearby moss nest, then began to groom her paws and forelegs. Cloudpaw pushed her face down next to hers and tried to initiate a conversation.

"What do you think she told Dovestar?" she asked, glancing back at the gray-furred she-cat leader.

"I don't know, it's probably nothing important," Minkpaw responded with a tired sigh, she then returned to grooming her fur. "I bet Snowcloud's telling her that I might be a warrior soon."

"Then if it isn't very important, why were you trying to hear what they were saying?" Cloudpaw inquired with an amused twitch of her whiskers and a tilt of her head. "Just admit it, Mink, you were curious about what they were talking about, weren't you?"

The white she-cat thought about spitting back a snide remark, but she was getting tired of being bitter. "Yeah, you're right," she meowed simply, she then continued to groom her paws as Cloudpaw settled down beside her to do the same. "So, how was your training session today, Cloudpaw?"

"Well-" she started, but was cut off as a she-cat near the thicket tunnel let out a shocked yowl. The apprentices whipped their heads around to see what was the matter.

The she-cat that had cried out stood surprised at the camp entrance, her long and luscious fur mostly black with white markings on her muzzle, neck, paws, and tail tip. It was the queen Ebonypetal, who was staring at the young cat that had just entered the camp. Duskpaw walked through the tunnel, revealing that her black-and-white fur was full of thorns and twigs. She looked battered and weak as if she had been through an ordeal. Ebonypetal pushed her nose against her grown daughter's flank and pushed her towards the medicine cat's den.

Minkpaw glanced at her sister. "What do you think could've happened?" she asked her sister. Cloudpaw just shrugged in response. "Should we go out there and investigate?"

Cloudpaw nodded and the siblings got to their feet, padding across the camp to the large hole in the cliff that partly surrounded the IceClan camp. The medicine cat's den sat inside, with enough space for a couple of thin moss nests and multiple craggy ledges that allowed for storage of herbs.

The two young cats peered inside, watching as Duskpaw entered, interrupting Frostcloud from her sorting work. The medicine cat was of an experienced age, and her fur was a snowy white color that gave her her name. She noticed the black-and-white apprentice immediately and got to work retrieving different kinds of leafy plants to treat her. Frostcloud's apprentice, Austerpaw, sat ready to help Frostcloud if she needed help in treating Duskpaw.

Minkpaw didn't hesitate in stepping into the den and rushed to Duskpaw's side. "Are you alright? What happened?" she meowed, purring softly to try to comfort her.

Duskpaw was larger than Minkpaw, and her fur longer, but she trembled constantly and was always afraid of something. Her eyes would dart around, and she could not seem to settle her paws. However, she seemed slightly more at ease in the medicine cat's den, likely due to her regular visits. The apprentice replied in a low, shaky tone, "I'd rather not talk about it if that's alright with you."