Shall we Dance?

Note #1: This is my first song fic. I honestly really love this song.

You stand to the side as you observe your peers chatting and dancing the night away. You were reluctant to receive an invite to this upper-class last minute, but because of the short amount of time you had to get your hair done and find fancy clothing, finding a date didn't even come to mind.

Nevertheless, you always found your way to enjoy your surroundings whether you were with others or not. However, you do wish you had someone to talk with to fulfill your time.

To snap you out of your thoughts, classical-sounding music began playing. Other guests found a dancing partner to waltz with. You stood in the center of the floor observing the others. You were about to return to your standing area until a rather handsome man with semi-curly hair wearing a tuxedo with a red and yellow name tag on the right side of his chest spelling out 'Rich' slightly bowed and extended one hand to you and placed the other behind his back.

"Shall we dance, shall we dance? Step in time, you and I. We could fly straight to the stars."

He glides his hand in the air, slowly waving as if stars were actually in your face. The moment the piano hit a strong note for a brief second, he reached his hand in front of you again.

"Take my hand, take my hand," you held his hand, accepting his gesture.

"I'll spin you around the room," he lifts your hand above your head, giving you room to twirl on your toes. "Then twirl you up to the moon," you feel yourself getting taller and taller, or rather slowly floating from the ground.

It's as if invisible steps appeared as this Rich fellow gracefully stepped up to reach for your hand again. He gives it a comforting squeeze, indicating that everything's going to be okay and even more magical.

"Can you see, this could be, the greatest dance."

It feels like the scene changed. It felt like you were dancing on a platform that looked and felt like clouds. Hovering from above, four more smaller cloud stages appear with three other guys with similar name tags waltzing with alternate versions of you while a mouse was...playing the piano? You had to admit, he was pretty good. The name tags on those guys spelled out 'Scott', 'Smitty', and 'Dave'. You had to admit again, those three also looked cute.

"Birds of a feather flock together rising high above the swaying purple heather. Swirling, whirling, gliding, moving by, like a dancing ballet in the starry sky."

"Spinning, soaring, swirling, whirling, a tapestry."

Scott and Dave's vocals intertwined with one another. Those identical versions of you were smiling ear to ear. The six of you from those platforms were having a ball. Literally!

A sudden shift as the scene changes again. The focus was back on the main version of you and Rich. You both held microphones. Scott repeats himself while Dave sings something new.

"Now we sing, now we sing. I'll be the melody, you'll be the harmony tune," Rich continues dancing with you, leaning back in a striking pose as you do the same.

"Birds of a feather flock together rising high above the swaying purple heather. Swirling, whirling, gliding, moving by, like a dancing ballet in the starry sky."

"Lifting, swaying, join me, and dance with the symphony."

The way the three vocalize is blissfully harmonious.

"Can you see, this could be, the greatest dance. You and me, we could be, the greatest dance," Scott and Dave briefly join for the last few notes of the song as it finishes.

For the final move, Rich dips you. Just like that, you two back at the ballroom. You realize a crowd formed around the two of you, engulfed in the performance. The audience cheers and applauds you and your dance partner.

Rich raises you back up on your feet as both of you hold hands and take a bow. There was something about these four men you were drawn to. You wondered if you would ever see them again after tonight. Even if you didn't, they transformed this night into something you'll never forget. He kisses the back of your hand before gazing into your eyes, smiling once more.

"If you ever have a situation that needs imagination, visit the Idea Warehouse," he winks before returning to the trio and rodent with brown and orange fur—er, hair?

You heard of the Idea Warehouse before, but you never had a problem that big. Perhaps you'll take up his offer when you do.

Note #2: This was so much fun to write.