Firepaw's green eyes lowered and she stared down at her paws. "Can I help you?" the ginger-furred molly asked, her green eyes brightening as she stared up at Leafcrackle with a pleading look on her face.

Leafcrackle sighed for what felt like the twentieth time that morning as he stared directly into Firepaw's emerald eyes. "I'm sorry Firepaw," the medicine cat meowed, his tone sympathetic as he watched her face fall and her ears lower.

"But can I please see her when she wakes up?" Leafcrackle nodded and that seemed to brighten up her mood, she smiled brightly at him before turning and dashing over to her mentor.

•••

When Kestrelpaw opened her eyes next, she was lying in a warm, sunny field with star-like particles scattered around her. Confused, she climbed to her paws and looked around at her surroundings. As she did so, however, she only became increasingly bewildered. There was something oddly comforting, almost familiar, about this place, but she was certain that she had never come across this particular field anywhere in BreezeClan territory.

It was divided into sections. A snowy, cold ocean place for the IceClan cats, a misty forest for the MistClan cats, a rocky moor and small pine forest for the StormClan cats, and a huge oak woodsy area for BreezeClan cats. But that wasn't all. There was a huge Twolegplace for kittypets and strays, and a field and forest that seemed to go on forever for rogues and loners. The Dark Forest lay beyond that field, for the most evil of cats.

"Hello there, little one," a soft voice purred. "I've been waiting a long time to meet you."

Kestrelpaw spun around to see a pale gray molly about the same size as Leafcrackle walking towards her. The newcomer's eyes were the exact same shape and color as her mentor's as well, and her pelt sparkled with starlight. She stared in confusion. There was definitely BreezeClan scent on this cat, but Kestrelpaw had never seen her before.

"Who are you?" she asked hesitantly.

"My name is Echosky," the gray-furred molly introduced herself. "I was once a warrior of BreezeClan myself until I died protecting my clanmates during an invasion from MistClan."

Kestrelpaw nodded, then paused as everything that Echosky had said finally sank in. "Wait, so... does that mean you're dead?"

Echosky nodded.

"Then... I'm dead too?" Kestrelpaw guessed.

Echosky shook her head. "No," she meowed gently. "You're still very much alive. But your body has been weakened severely by greencough, so you're sort of in an in-between state right now. You'll be able to wake up once you've recovered some of your strength."

Kestrelpaw let out a sigh. She didn't particularly like the idea of having to stay in this unfamiliar territory, but it didn't seem as though she had much choice. On the bright side, at least it was better than being stuck in SkyClan territory. Not that she had any idea what it was like there, of course, but she could guess that it was less than pleasant.

"Are you and Leafcrackle related?" Kestrelpaw asked curiously, deciding that it would be best to find some way to pass the time. "You look kind of like him except for your pelt color."

"We are, indeed. Very clever," Echosky purred. "Leafcrackle is my son. Oakstripe is his father."

Kestrelpaw opened her mouth to respond, but Echosky was already gone. The strange meadow vanished before her eyes and was replaced by the familiar sights and smells of the BreezeClan medicine den. She yawned and stretched slightly, sitting up in her makeshift nest and drawing her forepaw over her face. Her body still felt a little weaker than usual, but she had to admit she was feeling much better. At the very least, she could breathe without coughing every other heartbeat again.

"Welcome back, Kestrelpaw," Leafcrackle meowed, stepping out from the back of the medicine store with a bundle of herbs in his jaws. "You've been out for quite a while. It's good to see you awake again."

"Thanks, Leafcrackle," Kestrelpaw yawned. "How long have I been asleep for anyway?"

"About three days now," the medicine cat answered. "I daresay Firepaw will be happy to see you awake. She should be on her way to visit soon; she's been here every day since you fell ill."

As if on cue, at that moment, the ferns rustled and Firepaw emerged with a squirrel clutched in her jaws. She scanned the medicine den, freezing in shock when she saw Kestrelpaw sitting up in her nest. A moment later, however, her green eyes lit up with joy and she rushed over to her, dropping her squirrel near the entrance to the cave.

"You're awake," she purred with relief, her eyes shining with happiness.

"Of course," Kestrelpaw replied haughtily. Then, deciding to have a little fun, she narrowed her eyes and asked, "Why, did you think I was going to die or something? You thought a little cough would be enough to do me in?"

Firepaw backed away, her bright ginger fur fluffing up nervously. "N-not at all! I had complete faith in you!"

Kestrelpaw, now struggling to keep a straight face, lifted her chin into the air and meowed, "Good. I have taught you well, my fine underling. Always remember the golden rule. I control my fate. StarClan does not control it for me. And if they try to claim they do, they'll have me to answer to. I have a punishment for them that's worse than anything they could possibly imagine. Worse than being forced to clean the elders den for six moons, worse than border patrols with Frostwind, even worse than having to guard the StormClan border."

Firepaw listened, her eyes wide.

"If anyone in StarClan dares defy me," Kestrelpaw continued, still in the same mock-haughty voice. "They will be forced to wear a pink kittypet bow for the rest of their afterlives."

For a moment, the two apprentices stared at each other silently. Then, finally, Kestrelpaw couldn't hold herself together anymore and started laughing. Firepaw joined in a moment later, and for a while, the only sound that could be heard from the medicine den was the raucous merriment of the two friends.

"You're pretty when you're happy," Firepaw murmured once they had calmed down.

"What did you say?" Kestrelpaw asked, certain she'd heard her wrong.

Firepaw turned her head away slightly. "Er, never mind," she meowed hastily. "Look, I brought this squirrel. You should eat something before Leafcrackle wakes up and takes the entire fresh-kill pile for himself."

Kestrelpaw stared in confusion as Firepaw quickly grabbed the squirrel and dropped it in front of her, her bright ginger fur fluffed up in embarrassment. What could she have asked that would get her so worked up? She pondered the question for a moment, then decided that it would be best to worry about it later. Firepaw's behavior was still just as much a mystery as it had ever been, and she didn't have the energy or the will to work out the reason behind it at the moment.