Chapter Twenty-one

Start from the beginning

He just wanted to do something good for me. Is it sick? Of course! However, in his own way, he shows me that he cares a bit about me. Besides, I already knew he was in the mafia. But to experience something like that myself is different.

Sighing, I sit down and run my hand over my face. "I haven't told you the whole story," I whisper.

"How am I supposed to help you if I have to make it all up myself?" I nod at him in agreement. Now that the cat is out of the bag, I can come clean with the whole story.

"My injuries have slowly started to heal. However, I was not well. I was vomiting all the time and I felt dizzy. I thought maybe it was from the head injury, so I went to the doctor with my mother. They checked me out completely and then the news came: Pregnant!"

I feel Dante take my hand and give me a squeeze.

"I couldn't stop crying. The doctor said it was not too late for an abortion. He showed me the ultrasound picture and that's when the decision was made. I will keep this child because it is mine. Something beautiful must come out of this suffering. My mother supported me every day. "

"One day the doorbell rang. I was alone and already eight months pregnant. I opened the door and my nightmare started all over again. Matteo was standing in front of me. My ex-boyfriend and rapist. He told me that he had heard that I was pregnant and had to see it for himself. I told him to get out of my house or I would call the police. He just laughed at me and pushed me into the house and closed the door."

I close my eyes and am transported back to the moment. 

"Matteo, haven't you done enough to me already. Get out!" I screech.

"I always knew you were a dirty bitch. Where on earth did you get the idea to keep that bastard child?" he roars.

"Don't talk about him like that."

"Ah, then you'll have a filthy son. You know there must be no evidence of that night," he says, while taking a few steps towards me. I back up and am trapped by the wall.

"Please leave us alone." I try to take my phone out of my pocket, but he knocks it out of my hand.

"You are so stupid. You should have just aborted it, then this wouldn't have happened." He puts his hands around my neck and starts choking me. I try with all my might to fight him off, but it's no use. Out of desperation, I lash out. With my fingertips I feel my mother's silver horse stallion.

I reach for the statue and hit his head with all my might. He lets go of me and falls to the ground. A large pool of blood appears on the floor.

Next thing I knew, I woke up in the hospital. I felt that something was different. Startled, I grabbed my stomach. "Where is my baby?", I screamed across the room.

Nurses rushed into the room, but I screamed hysterically and cried. They told me that when I fainted I hurt something and they had to do an emergency C-section. I asked them if they could bring me my baby, but they said that he was currently in the incubator and this was not possible. I have never felt so empty in my life.

The nurses left and were replaced by the devil himself. "What have you done to my son?" she shrieks. "What?" I whisper, confused.

"He's in a coma because of you. You and your lies did this to him."

"He tried to kill me," I scream. I hiss up and hold my stomach. The scar is too fresh and I'd best not get upset.

"Oh, Lorena. The day Matteo introduced me to you, I already knew that you would be his downfall. I'm going to take my grandson to live with me. You'll sign over parental rights to me. He will have a good life." She strokes my cheek and looks at me with slitted eyes.

I open my mouth and before I can say anything she says: "Think carefully before you speak. If you don't sign over the rights, I will take you to court for attempted manslaughter. Who will they believe, a pathetic eighteen-year-old or the mayor's family? Since I am not heartless, you may name the child and visit him once a month. Of course, if it should suit me."

"You'll never get away with it," I hiss.

"Oh yeah, you mean." She grins and says, "Your honour, after my son broke up with her, she accused him of rape. Of which there was no evidence at all. She wanted to destroy his reputation as revenge for the break-up. After my poor son found out that she got pregnant. Of course, in a consensual way, he did everything he could to get in touch with her. When he was finally able to visit her, she went crazy and hit him so hard that he fell into a coma."

I look at her in shock. How sick can someone be?

"Tik tak Lorena. The offer doesn't stand for long and if you don't take it, I'll get parental rights some other way. You can try to fight me, but since we know you have no resources, it will be a one-sided fight." She grins at me and walks out of my room.

"I had no choice but to accept this offer. I would rather see my son 12 times a year than never again. When you made me the offer to marry you, I thought my prayers had finally been heard. I finally had enough money to afford a lawyer and finally after five years this was my first ray of hope. I would have tried to convince Vinz to testify on my behalf, but this is no longer possible." I sob.

"Dante, you don't know what it's like to see your child only once a month. I've seen Henry about 60 times so far. He's five years old. I've seen my son for about two months.

I wasn't even allowed to tell him I was his mother at first. She threatened me that I wouldn't be allowed to see him anymore, if I tell him. But when he asked me one day, I couldn't say no. The doctors told me during my last visit that Matteo was making progress. It could be that he is waking up. When he hears about Vinz, it's over for me.  I'll never see Henry again."

Dante clenches his hands into fists and growls: „Mia cara, pagheranno! They will all burn in hell and I will lead them there myself."

Dante leans forward and gives me a kiss on the forehead.

This is the most intimate moment we have ever shared. He takes me in his arms and I rest my head on his shoulder.

I hope they burn and that nothing remains but their pitiful ashes.