7

Bobby sits in a wheelchair - his wheelchair - staring through the sheer, white curtains and out at the rest of the passing world. You lay on his bed, facing up, one leg off the side and swinging. You're trying to give off the appearance that it doesn't shock you to your core to see him like this. There's a sense of abnormality in seeing an old family member in hospital. You're left feeling cold, teeth gritting through your fake smile. Whatever you're truly thinking, he can't know it. Even if deep down he already does.

There's a magazine in your hands and you squint your eyes at the headlines, "Hm. You'll never guess what Jennifer Aniston's up to." You glance at Bobby, eyes narrow at his sullen expression. He's not listening - of course he isn't. "Hey, you're in here too - page four," you keep your eyes on him, "Pretty scandalous stuff."

He doesn't say anything. The silence makes you feel small and foolish. You put the magazine down, letting out a small sigh. You're usually good at cheering Bobby up. He'd always have a smile for you, even if it was 'cause you'd said something dumb.

From the corner of your eye, you see Sam at the doorway. Lifting yourself off of the bed, you give him a nod, "Hey."

"Hi," Sam presses a smile to his lips, voice gushing down, "anything?"

"No," you mumble, crossing your arms over your chest. Dean lets out a sigh, hearing the end of your conversation with Sam.

"It's been three days now," Dean says, "we gotta cheer him up."

"Trust me, I've tried," you admit, "can't expect anything to change anytime soon."

"Maybe I'll give him a back rub," Dean jokes.

"Dean."

"Well, what then?" He snaps back at Sam's warning tone. You look down, sensing the uncomfortable air between the two.

Sam glances at Bobby for a moment, "Look, we might have to wrap our heads around the idea that Bobby might just not bounce back this time."

You can feel a chill in the air from the way Dean looks at Sam. It takes a second for him to understand and he clenches his jaw. "What's this?" You ask Dean, looking at the big folder in his hands.

"Went down to radiology, got some glamour shots," he answers, pulling out the content of the envelope, "let's just say the doctors are baffled."

Sam holds the x-ray up and you stare in awe and a little disgust. It's his ribcage, the enochian sigils from Cas showing up on each individual rib. "That's..." You mutter, "That's on us - in us - right now?"

Dean looks you up and down, "Don't get queasy on me now."

"I'm not," you sound way too defensive and Dean almost laughs.

Sam's phone rings, ending the conversation short, "Castiel?"

You and Dean share a wide-eyed glance and he raises his eyebrows in surprise, "Speak of the Devil..."

"Saint Martins Hospital, level four," Sam states awkwardly, "wh-" Sam looks at his phone, "He hung up."

"Y/N," you hear from down the hall, "Sam, Dean."

"Cellphone, Cas, really?" Dean asks, lowly.

"Sigils," you remind Dean, "hidden from all Angels."

"Yes," Castiel nods, "I won't be able to simply-"

"Enough chitchat," Bobby's voice booms from inside his hospital room. Your shoulders tense and you squeeze your eyes shut at his tone - so unlike the Bobby that you know. "Get over here and lay your damn hands on."

You give Castiel a sympathetic look and he tears his eyes from you, staying silent. "Cas-"

"Get healing. Now!" Bobby glares at the angel.

Castiel turns to Bobby, face expressionless, "I can't."

Everyone turns to Castiel at his admittance, the room silent and ten times heavier. He looks truly regretful that he can't help. "What?" You tilt your head in confusion.

Bobby turns around in his wheelchair, his eyes blazing up at Cas. "Say again?" His tone is low and threatening.

Cas walks into the room now, giving Bobby a sympathetic look, "I'm cut off from Heaven and much of Heaven's power. Certain things, I can do. Certain things, I can't."

"You're telling me you lost your mojo just in time to get me stuck in this trap for the rest of my life?"

"Bobby," you mumble, standing beside the angel.

"I'm sorry," Castiel says.

Bobby just gives him a look before he begins turning around, "Shove it up your ass."

You shut your eyes for a moment, turning back to the boys and giving them a look. "At least he's talking now," Dean states.

"I heard that." Bobby responds angrily. A look crosses Deans face.

"I don't have much time," Castiel adds, standing beside you and looking at the Winchester boys, "We need to talk. Your plan to kill Lucifer," he raises his eyebrows at Dean.

"Yeah, you wanna help?" Dean asks.

"No, it's foolish." Castiel doesn't mince words, "Can't be done-"

Dean almost rolls his eyes, "Thanks for the support."

"-But I believe I have the solution," he continues, "there is someone besides Michael that's strong enough to take on Lucifer. Strong enough to stop the apocalypse."

"Who's that?

Castiel looks at Sam, "The one who resurrected me. The one who began everything; God. I'm gonna find God."