Chapter Nineteen

En başından başla

"You're drawing devil horns on my head. And where did you even get that picture?" I have to pull myself together not to laugh.

"I have to give vent to my anger after all. Either I paint devil horns on your head or I send you to the devil. Which would you prefer, dear husband?"

She blinks her eyelashes innocently. I just roll my eyes and hand her phone back. "Shall we talk again about how you should behave in Chicago?"

"What do you mean? I'm going to make you out to be the perfect husband." I see something devilish glint in her eyes.

My hand snaps out and I grab her by the neck. "Lorena, I am warning you. It won't end well if you embarrass me in front of my men."

"Oh, you call me Lorena, that means you're serious. Don't worry, I won't say anything they don't already know."

She takes my hands and releases them from her neck. "I would recommend that you don't touch me any more. Otherwise I won't be as nice as I have been."

And that was the end of the conversation. The flight will be fun.

—-
Lorena

"Ladies and gentlemen, please fasten your seat belts. We will be landing in Chicago in a few minutes."

The flight was anything but pleasant. There was a turbulence and this time Dante could not distract me with a story from his past. I am angry with him, but even more angry with myself. I can't believe that I catch myself believing that Dante is a good person.

My heart beat faster yesterday when he donated money to Tommy. My feelings took over and I kissed him. How stupid could I be to think that this would make him open up a little more. Now he's back to being the cold asshole I knew him to be.

I need to remember his negative side and not cling to the positive side. In the end, I only get hurt and it's clear that he doesn't want anything serious from me.

Wait a minute - what am I talking about? Since when do I want anything serious from him?

Dante and Lorena go out for ice cream. Dante and Lorena go to see a movie. Dante and Lorena go on a date to the museum. That would never work and I'm not even sure if I want this.

"Lorena, andiamo." Dante shouts. I wince and only now realise that we have already landed. I collect myself briefly and then stand up. Together with Dante I leave the jet and can already feel the warmth slapping my face.

"Welcome to Chicago," I mutter to myself.

We walk down the stairs and I already see several armed men standing in front of their cars. "Don, Mrs Russo welcome to Chicago," one of the men says. Dante just nods and takes my hand in his. I feel a tingling in my hand but try to suppress it.

"Do you want to freshen up or can we go straight to Lorenzo's restaurant?" Surprised that he asks me anything at all, I say, "We can go straight to the restaurant." He nods and together we get into the car.

"I should warn you, Lorenzo thinks he is very charming. However, I wouldn't take his word for it. He knows how to deal with the Don's wife. I hope for his life," he mumbles the last part to himself.

---

It is a very short drive. When we arrive, the chauffeur opens the door for me. I thank him and wait for Dante. He comes to my side and takes me by the hand. We go into the restaurant and I immediately smell many different delicious aromas.

"Oh mio Dio, Dante, how long has it been since we've seen each other?" a man says and takes Dante's face in his hand to kiss his cheek left and right. I can't help giggling when I see Dante's disgusted face.