The Breach

Before long, Affogato maneuvered his way through the castle's corridors, leading the unsuspecting Dark Cacao towards his impending demise. "This way, my Lord. My servants have prepared something that requires your wisdom."

"As you can see, our work on the fortifications is proceeding as planned. I say this with humility, but my efforts to console the soldiers and other nobles have seemed to pay off." Affogato announced, guiding Dark Cacao to a particular location within the castle.

"You? Overseeing security affairs? Hmm... Well done." Dark Cacao acknowledged, offering a nod of approval to Affogato.

"My Liege, may I offer my counsel on this matter? While a whip might suffice for now, a carrot may prove more effective. Loyal members of your court may be motivated tenfold with remunerations..." Affogato suggested, his eyes shimmering with calculated ambition.

"Loyal? Of whom do you speak? Loyalty cannot be bought with rewards. Those truly loyal follow their king until the bitter end." Dark Cacao rebuked, shaking his head in disagreement.

"...Yes, my Lord. I agree with your words of wisdom." Affogato reluctantly agreed, although his next words were ones he wished he could retract. "And yet, Mochaccino Cookie won the hearts of all other Cookies that reside in this kingdom. He made their lives more comfortable, and thus, they followed him without question. It appears that he possesses an innate aptitude for leadership."

Affogato couldn't believe he had uttered those words, inadvertently speaking favorably of Mochaccino. The acrid taste lingered in his mouth, and he yearned to retract his statement.

Speaking well of the Royal Scientist went against every fiber of his being. And yet, the words had slipped out involuntarily, casting Mochaccino in a positive light that Affogato despised.

Dark Cacao fell silent for a few fleeting moments. "...I see. You are correct, Affogato. Perhaps a reward system would be more suitable for our purposes."

"I remember the time the first stones for this citadel were set in place... I was driven by a sense of duty and fervor, a desire to protect our land with these walls." He reminisced, his gaze turning distant as memories flooded his mind.

"Our soldiers, myself... We continued on through that coldest winder, on the brink of starvation to protect our Cookies, our kingdom. And then, to illuminate the path ahead... Mochaccino Cookie emerged, offering us hope and deliverance." Dark Cacao's voice grew solemn as he recounted the past.

"He vowed to make our lives easier, and he fulfilled that promise. His scientific breakthroughs ushered prosperity into this realm. Our people thrived, our harvests flourished, and our defenses multiplied manifold. Everything had improved under the guidance of the Royal Scientist. But I digress. How much further, Affogato Cookie? What is it that you must present before me?" Dark Cacao inquired, seeking an answer.

"Your king speaks. Answer me." He called out once more, but there was no reply. "...Affogato Cookie?" He questioned, scanning the surroundings only to find that the Royal Advisor had vanished. "...Where has he gone? In fact... where has everyone gone...?"

Yet from the shadowy recesses of the chamber where Dark Cacao stood, a familiar voice reverberated. "It has been quite some time... Father." Dark Choco declared, emerging to face his own father.

"You...! Dark... Choco... Cookie... Dark Choco Cookie... Do my eyes deceive me...? How did...?" Dark Cacao stammered, unable to comprehend the impossible sight before him.

"You've quite the loyal retainer." Dark Choco remarked with bitterness, sheathing his Strawberry Jam Sword.

"...I see! Affogato Cookie, that traitorous worm!" Dark Cacao spat, resentment boiling within him as he realized that he had been lured to his current predicament. "Tell me... Why have you returned? Are you here to ask for my forgiveness?"