6 - The Journey to Mars

The difficulty in traveling to Mars lies in the vast distance between Earth and Mars. As they both orbit the sun at different paces, the journey would take at least to six months, depending on the departure date. This narrow window of time became a critical element that everyone involved was aiming for. However, as the first few opportunities within the window were missed, tension and frustration began to grow. Rumors of further postponements spread, and the media had a field day reporting on supposed incompetence at Mars Corp.

Finally, on the last day of the window, all signs were green. The Mars Corp. control center meticulously double-checked everything, tested every scenario, and ensured that all operators were prepared for any situation. There were no faults or mistakes. It was a definitive "go." The journey to Mars could commence.

Jack, the leader of the crew of the "lucky seven", would lead the mission. Dana would be in charge of the flight deck, and Evelyn would lead the team of scientists.

The departure from the Wharf was controlled from Earth. Despite a slight delay in transmission, it was deemed safer to grant "Earth" full control. The departure procedure was simpler compared to the Earth's departure procedure. The major difference, of course, was the lesser gravitational power that needed to be overcome before the transporter could leave its position in orbit, making things significantly easier.

The countdown commenced, and everyone took their designated seats. The crew secured their positions in the cockpit command center. Strapped in and ready, they tested emergency procedures and began the final countdown. The last ten seconds evoked memories of the countdown during the space station's construction. Jack marveled at the incredible strides they had made since the idea was first sketched. Suddenly, he snapped out of his daydream as the transporter detached from the wharf, fully operated by the control center. Steering rockets propelled the transporter to a safe distance from the wharf. The journey had begun.

The first phase involved circling around Earth and utilizing the planet's acceleration as a slingshot to propel them into space. The transporter's main motor powered on, gradually increasing speed. Every gaze was fixed on Earth—a bittersweet sight, as it would likely be the last time most of them saw home. The flight crew had a theoretical chance of returning, but it was an incredibly risky mission. If successful, and a new transporter was sent, the flight crew could potentially return to Earth after a long time.

The sling-shot procedure was complete, and the transporter set its course towards Mars. Once the designated distance from Earth was reached, the solar sails were deployed. These sails would harness solar energy and propel the transporter towards Mars over the course of six months. During this time, the crew would conduct initial scientific experiments and undergo extensive training on setting foot on Mars. A dedicated virtual reality room was set up on the transporter, similar to an airline flight simulator. However, in the VR room, the entire setting could be customized, allowing for the recreation of not only the launch from the transporter in the Landing and Staging Units (LSUs), but also the simulation of the first steps on Mars and the setup of the LSUs. The crew continued their training, gradually automating procedures and ingraining them into their routine.

As the training proved successful, more leisure time became available. In the initial weeks, everyone was cautious not to offend one another, but with the increasing free time, individual personalities and character traits began to emerge. The scientists remained occupied with their work, rarely participating in the more social activities aboard the transporter of the flight crew. Mars Corp. had meticulously profiled and balanced the group to ensure compatibility.

However, the behavior of the flight crew led to a slow-growing tension between the two groups. Dana, the leader of the flight crew, along with the twins Illyas and Aaron, exhibited a macho and dominant behavior that the rest of the crew found offensive. Though the flight crew found it amusing, the rest of the group were shocked and deeply offended by what they perceived as unnecessary behavior.

The tension reached its tipping point during a seemingly harmless food fight. Aaron and Illyas, bored with the monotony of the journey, initiated a playful skirmish by launching peas at each other in the common mess room. However, the scientists, who happened to be dining at the same time, took offense to the food wastage and considered it disrespectful. This incident became the final straw for them.

It was surprising that it took until the second month of the journey for hostilities to manifest openly. But, they had have enough, the patience of the scientists had been so much tested that they could no longer restrain themselves and a fight brook lose with the flight crew.

Jack had been sleeping, not feeling that well that day, but he awaked after being alarmed by the strange noises. He quickly dressed and hurried towards the mess room. There he found four people fighting each other and the other watching in horror. Jack needed all his authority and strength to separate the fighting parties. Once the groups were detangled, he saw some blooded noses and torn eyebrows. He has was sure that all of them would have severe browses tomorrow. Sternly looking at them, Jack told them to stop fighting each other, that should respect each other, and they would be still on the transporter for the next four months.

Over time, genuine efforts were made to bridge the gap between the flight crew and the scientists. Both groups began to appreciate each other's contributions and expertise, recognizing that their unique skills were vital to the success of the mission. Dana, Illyas, and Aaron, having acknowledged their earlier behavior, took the initiative to apologize and foster a more inclusive and supportive environment.

As the weeks passed, the tensions gradually dissipated, and a newfound sense of camaraderie began to form. The crew engaged in more collaborative activities, sharing knowledge, experiences, and even personal stories. The scientists preference for harmony and the flight crew's assertive nature started to complement each other, creating a more balanced dynamic within the group.

With their focus restored and their conflicts resolved, the crew found a renewed sense of purpose and unity. The journey to Mars became more than just a mission—it became a shared endeavor filled with mutual respect and support.

As the transporter continued its trajectory towards Mars, the crew utilized their time to further prepare for their arrival. The virtual reality room played a crucial role in this preparation. Through simulations, they rehearsed the entire process of landing on Mars, setting up the LSUs, and conducting scientific experiments. The training became more efficient, and the crew's confidence grew with each passing day.

During the sixth month of the journey, the transporter became very close to Mars. The crew became acutely aware that their destination was drawing near. Excitement and anticipation filled the air as they eagerly awaited their arrival on the Red Planet. This significant milestone brought a renewed sense of purpose and determination to the entire team.

The scientists, who had been engrossed in their research throughout the journey, began finalizing their plans for conducting experiments on Mars. They reviewed their equipment, double-checked their protocols, and made sure everything was in order. The whole crew focused on the tasks they would undertake on Mars, such as setting up the necessary infrastructure for future missions and establishing a sustainable living environment.

As the final days of the journey approached, a mixture of emotions filled the transporter. Excitement, nervousness, and a touch of homesickness were all present. The crew bonded further, supporting each other through conversations, shared meals, and moments of relaxation. They found solace in each other's company, understanding the unique experience they were about to embark upon.

On the eve of their arrival, the crew gathered in the cockpit command center. Jack addressed the group, expressing his pride in their collective achievements and emphasizing the significance of their presence on Mars. He reminded them that they were part of history, pioneers in the exploration of a new world. Jack's words resonated deeply within each person, reinforcing their commitment to the mission's success.