ꜰᴏᴜʀᴛᴇᴇɴ

∞ 𝐑𝐔𝐍 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐇𝐈𝐃𝐄∞

_______________________________________

They found the kids. They were all back together now.

Chae-Yeong stood behind Chun-Ho as his gun reached the ground. The kids turned around quickly, some of them gripping their guns as they looked for the source of the sound. But, as soon as they saw Chun-Ho, they lowered their guns, not believing what was in front of their eyes. They were all frozen in place, as if they didn't come there to meet him in the first place. 

"Lieutenant," So-Yeon whispered as she got up on her feet. A second ago she was on the ground, and the next one she started running toward him, the others following her as they all jumped on Chun-Ho. Chae-Yeong couldn't help it but giggle as he almost lost his balance and fell on the ground. Still, she felt a weird sting in her heart as she was left alone, looking at them have their happy reunion. She felt like she didn't belong there, like it was where Chun-Ho belonged at, but not her. It wasn't... enough. She wanted something else, not this. And she just now realized that, as she saw the happy tears in their eyes, as she heard the shouts from the kids, as she saw them look like a family. Where was she in this story?

She shoved those thoughts aside as she approached them, looking up at the sky, trying to make up the stars. But they were barely visible now, as the clouds were making their way to the city. 

"I can't believe that you are actually alive!" Duk-Jung said as he wiped his eyes with the sleeve of his shirt. "Ever since you left us I have been hungry." Chun-Ho laughed and the others groaned, Bo-Ra punching him in the arm.
"I thought you were dead, we have been looking for you ever since the explosion. Is everyone alright?" he asked and Chae-Yeong knew something was wrong the moment they all fell silent. 
"What happened?" she asked and Na-Ra looked at her, but quickly lowered her eyes. "You said you were all alright at the prison, what happened?"
"Su-Chul..." Yu-Jung started. "He..."
"He's dead," Bo-Ra said. Chae-Yeong looked at Chun-Ho, seeing as his throat bobbed. She extended her arm and found his, giving her a warm squeeze. "What happened?" he asked the kids, but they were all avoiding his eyes. "What happened?" he asked again, this time almost yelling.
"He fell," So-Yeon was the one to respond. "We don't really know how it happened."
"How can't you know how it happened?" he yelled at her as she flinched. "Why weren't any of you with him?" 
"Chun-Ho," Chae-Yeong said as she tightened her grip on his hand, forcing him to look at her. She saw the anger in his eyes, but not directed to the kids, but to himself. He was angry at himself because he thought he couldn't protect them, because he thought it was his fault that he died. She started rubbing her thumb on his knuckles, trying to calm him down. He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath as he squeezed her hand back. When she looked at her again, she pulled herself together, trying not to let the tears spill as she talked. "It's not their fault. And it's not yours, either." She then turned to the kids. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry that we couldn't be here for you all this time. But we are here now."
"I'm really glad you're both back, Chae-Yeong," Yu-Jung said as she came to hug her. "I missed you," she whispered as Chae-Yeong smiled at her words.