Another pompous brat to deal with. Lovely.

She swirled her golden drink and discreetly sniffed the chalice. A sweet scent wafted into her nose, practically clogging her nose with an overwhelming chrysanthemum smell. Hyewon looked into the drink only to see a younger version of herself staring back at her.

This must be the Nectar of Youth.

Having no wishes to look younger, she wisely set the drink aside.

Around 20 minutes into the feast, General Kang cleared his throat. "Ahem, we should discuss our agreement, Your Majesty."

The emperor nodded sagely. His hard, steely gaze landed on her, "Warrior Cho, as a soldier of the Imperial Army, you are required to fulfill your duty. You are assigned to my son, Prince Nishimura Riki, to guard him, for the enemy is growing stronger and more ferocious. You are to stand guard and protect him unless told otherwise by me or General Kang."

Did royals have to make everything sound so complicated and prim? She gulped down her food. "Your Highness, may I ask if this will interfere with my training?"

His Majesty nodded. "You will be exempted from lessons, considering the amount of prior training you have gone through. However, you may go to training occasionally and train along with your fellow comrades. Make sure that if you wish to do so or leave post for a certain amount of time, station another guard."

"As well as being the prince's main guard, you are to escort him throughout the day and attend his daily lessons. You will also polish some of his swordsman skills through a private lesson between the two of you."

"In possible situations where the palace is attacked, do not leave his side to join battle. Escort him to a safe place and fight if someone pursues you. That is all. If you have any more questions after this, you may ask General Kang."

Hyewon nodded, "Noted, sir."

The empress clapped her hands and instantly, Hyewon's dish, which previously had many stains, turned sparkly clean.

"Now, if the two of you are full, Riki, be a dear and lead Warrior Cho to your chamber. Perhaps you would like to discuss something regarding these matters?"

Without a word, Prince Riki rose from his seat and bowed to his parents before leaving the hall. Hyewon hastily got up and followed him as she tried to prevent herself from tripping from the heavy dress she was wearing.

Silence followed as she walked behind him, staring at the royal portraits of royalty. Various paintings hung from the ancient walls, lined up by each other side by side. Each family member held an imperious face, barely a smile shone on their faces.

Hyewon was so focused on the portraits that when Prince Riki stopped, she almost collided with the prince.

His head jerked towards her, "Watch it," he snapped, his first words towards her, filled with distaste.

With his back turned against her, Hyewon silently mimicked him and rolled her eyes. This is what she would have to deal with? She rather be killed heroically in battle than babysit a bratty prince.

When he opened the door, being the gentleman he was, he let the door swing shut in front of her face. She growled and flung the door open. Her hand inched towards her pocket.

Remember, be polite.

Well, that was kinda hard to do when he was practically begging to be punched with that snooty look on his face.

Out of earshot, the prince finally spoke more than two words. He turns around and glances at Hyewon with disdain. "I believe the general must've drank bad wine to think of recommending you." he sneers, "How old are you? 14?"

"17, turning 18. Just like you are," she corrected with a forced smile, secretly gritting her teeth together.

A scoff escapes his lips. "Doesn't change anything. You're a female."

She exhaled out of her nose, trying to piece the last remnants of her patience. Her hand subtly twitched towards her concealed weapon once again, but she forced herself to drop her hand.

You're a girl. Girls can't fight. It is most improper for a young lady to fight.

Snippets of phrases echoed throughout her mind from all of those years. Jeers. Taunts. Gibes. Hyewon had heard them all. She pushed those thoughts away, even though they lingered in her mind.

Lifting her chin, Hyewon arched an eyebrow. "And? So what if I am a girl? Not all girls are household people waiting to become spouses."

He scowls. "Women can't fight. Women are too weak. A lady's kanzei is to tend to their husband and family's needs."

Hyewon growled. He was really getting on her nerves. "Oh really? This is my duty. General Kang told me that this is my kanzei," she mocked him. She stepped closer to the prince, "Believe me, Nishimura, I didn't want this job."

Nishimura pushed her back. "Watch your words. Do you know who you're talking to?" he warns, a fiery glow lighting up his eyes.

Ah. His dominant must be fire.

"I do. I'm talking to a bratty little prince who has never worked a day of his life. I fought hard for my position. Who are you to question my capabilities? You've never seen me fight." Hyewon shot back fiercely.

Unable to contain her anger, she whipped out her knife and in a blink of an eye, she threw it at the wall behind the prince. With deadly accuracy, it became wedged between the door crack, narrowly missing the prince.

She snarled, "Is that good enough for you?"

To his credit, Prince Riki did not flinch. He merely smirked, "Good try. Might want to work on your aim."

Hyewon felt for her link to her knife and it zipped back into her hand. She advances on him. "Don't act so high and mighty," she tells him, her knife grazing the mere skin of his throat, causing the prince to instinctively raise his chin. "Not all women are as pathetic as you think, Prince. Royalty would be nothing without the people. The only difference between you and me is your heritage and status that has not been earned. It is merely luck that you are of importance. In another life, you could've been as easily a commoner." She digs the knife a bit deeper, only enough to draw a small amount of blood. "I'm quite sure you bleed crimson red just like the rest of us 'lowly commoners' do, Nishimura."

She smiles coldly. "As long as you treat me decently, we'll get along nicely. Respect goes both ways and so far you haven't earned it from me. I could care less if you report me to your parents. I am here to protect, not babysit. Do not test my patience nor expect me to bow down like a fool without honor. Do we have an agreement?"

Silence. And with that she wiped the small trickle of blood against her kimono, tucked back her knife, and smiled sweetly at him, "It seems we understand each other."

Hyewon gives him a mock bow, "I'll see you tomorrow, Prince Nishimura Riki."

And with that, she left the room.

-

Prince Riki touched his neck with one finger. Blood. He grins, a malicious glint in his eyes.

"Interesting. Perhaps this will be more exciting than I thought."