He jumps off his cot. "My best friend is going to be the guard of the prince!?!" he yelps in surprise, earning the stares of his roommates.

She slaps her hand over his mouth. "Choi Yeonjun, could you be any louder?" Hyewon scolded before removing her hand. Disgusted about touching his spittle, she harshly rubbed her hand against the bedpost.

"Sorry," Yeonjun lowered his voice. "I can't believe that they appointed you as Prince Riki's guard. Especially because of all the stereotypes of girls being warriors," he grasped her hands, "Hyewon, are you sure this is a good idea? I'm worried for you. People will criticize you once this news comes out, especially since you're a female samurai warrior. They'll doubt you. A life of fame is cruel and harsh, I don't want you to live that kind of life with the public looking over every move you make. The public is cruel and one wrong step out of line, your whole life could be destroyed. You should be free, Hye."

This was where she wanted to be. With her friend.  As annoying Yeonjun could be, he was caring. Hyewon gripped his hand tightly, squeezing it for reassurance. "Duty calls, Jun, I can't refuse. Trust me, I don't want to do this either, but I'm strong enough. I could care less about what they say behind my back. I'm not one of the strongest samurai warriors in the kingdom for nothing, I had one of the best training provided in the kingdom. I'll prove them wrong, I'm not a weak doll who needs a Prince Charming." A weary sigh escaped his mouth. Yeonjun knew he could never dissuade his stubborn friend. "I know, but the public doesn't know that. Please stay safe, Hyewon. Don't become reckless and involve yourself in any unnecessary trouble. It's even more dangerous to be the prince's guard at this time period, we're at the verge of war with the West. Promise me you'll be safe. That's all I ask for."

Hyewon smiles faintly. "I'm afraid trouble finds me, not the other way around. You know me. I promise I'll try to stay safe, Yeonjun. Being a guard will never be an easy job though." she offers him a light-tipped smile. "Besides, I'm looking forward to kicking royals if the prince annoys me enough," she jokes.

"Stay true to yourself, okay?" Yeonjun pulls her into a hug, his arms encircling her small body. When he pulled away, he smiled. "You look pretty with the kimono, no matter how much you hate it, Hye. You'll definitely catch the prince's eye."

She groans. "I would rather stab my stomach with a sword than catch his eye. Royal scumbags-"

Hyewon was shushed when her childhood friend placed a finger against her lips. Winking, he says, "You never know, maybe he'll fall for you."

She rolled her eyes. "That's funny, Yeonjun." she muttered. "I don't even know what he looks like."

"What do you mean? Prince Riki used to train with the soldiers in our cohort. Don't you remember?"

A memory flashed through her mind. A 13 year old with disheveled raven black hair fumbling to wield a sword properly. If her memory served right, he also almost went to the infirmary.

Hyewon snorted. "You mean that newbie that almost stabbed his eye out two years ago?"

Yeonjun quirked an eyebrow. "Rumor claims that he's quite a good swordsman and a looker. All the maids in the palace are gossiping about him and raving about his god-like visuals. Quite the ladies man, I say."

She rolled her eyes again. "I swear, when will people learn that looks can be deceiving? Those women give females a bad name."

"That's true. Well, at least the first part. I mean, look at you, you are really pretty and soft looking, but you're as savage as a-"

His sentence was cut off when Hyewon quickly whipped out a dagger, a blur, and held it to his throat, nearly scratching his Adam's apple. A creepy smile surfaced and she nudged it closer. "I dare you to finish that sentence."

Yeonjun visibly gulped and raised his hands in surrender. "Geez, Hye, no need to get shaken," Gaining a boost of confidence, he winks flirtily, "Might want to head to that royal banquet of yours."

"Don't "Hye" me, you big flirt," she growled before withdrawing her weapon from his neck, slipping it back neatly into her kimono. Hyewon sighed. "Why is my friend a baboon?"

"Your only male friend," he chimed in. "Hey, maybe you'll make some new friends in the prince's wing," Yeonjun chirped happily, ruffling her hair.

Hyewon turns to him, glaring. Friends? She thinks not. "Men are idiots," she muttered under her breath.

"Except me, of course. I am awesome."

"Right." Squeezing the soft fabric of her dress, Hyewon began to stand up only to be crushed by another hug.

"I'll miss you."

Her face softened as she warmly embraced him back. "What kind of friend would I be if I didn't miss you?" she asks as she pats gently on his shoulder rhythmically. "I'll visit you and tell you all the details when I'm free."

"You better."

When they released each other from the hug, Hyewon sighed before smoothening her dress. Time to get royally screwed. "I should go. It would be terribly tragic if I got executed for being late before getting to meet the prince."

He nods, smiling. "Be safe." Yeonjun calls.

A/N: not me rushing to do another chapter so I can get to the good parts. it scared the hell outta me when i realized i published this chapter before editing. really, I need to make the chapters longer. I also have chapter 3 done but I'm gonna do some editing first and I have to do math so expect it come later in the day or tomorrow.