Chapter Three: [Silverpaw]

Start from the beginning

She knew the gist of why Hailwatcher seemed frightened of her, but was always stopped before she could hear the whole story.

Something about her bearing an uncanny resemblance to her father, a father she hadn't seen in moons, because everything ended up being about him in some way.

It wasn't to say Silverkit didn't miss him- she thought about him and the advice he'd given her constantly and wanted badly to see him- but a dilemma plagued her.

She had heard murmurings about something terrible her father had done moons ago but hadn't received context or details, so who knew what kind of a cat he was now?

Either way, she had a faith that Slightstar wouldn't do anything bad to her if they were to speak again, seeing that she was his favored kit- something he made rather obvious back when she and Squirrelkit and Rosebush still lived in ShadowClan.

She missed the time she spent with him, talking quietly about ambitions and hopes, or playing some game she didn't remember the name of.

She missed being valued by someone- now Squirrelkit was the favorite of not just Rosebush but all the other cats their age.

But now there was no father in her life, thanks to a great number of overlapping circumstances, so she had to make do with the family she had left; a family that happened to include none of the few cats who looked at her regularly and not as a miniature version of whatever horrible kind of cat Slightstar apparently was.

Silverkit drifts back to the present at the sound of Featherstar clearing her throat.

"Cats of SkyClan," the brown tabby mews, "-today is a special day. There are six kits that will be made into apprentices, who will in turn grow into cats we will be proud to call our own."

"I trust that each and every one of you will do your part in guiding these young cats down the right path," she adds, glancing warmly at a smiling Beechfoot, "-and with that it's now time to begin the ceremonies."

A cheer of moderate volume rises up, but to Silverkit it's loud enough to make her want to leave the general area.

Featherstar hops down from her perch and approaches Squirrelkit and Tinykit, glued to each other's sides.

"Tinykit, Squirrelkit, you both have reached the age of six moons, and it has come time for you to become apprentices. From this day forward, you will be known as Tinypaw and Squirrelpaw. Your mentors will be Willowdust and Haystep. I hope that they both pass on their wisdom to you."

The two named warriors come up to their apprentices, Willowdust looking significantly more smug than Haystep, and touch noses with them.

Silverkit digs small, blunt claws into the hardened ground as cheers echo through the cold air; she heard her mother yowling loudest of all.

She notices Hailwatcher continuing to stare wide-eyed at her and sighs quietly.

Featherstar steps over to Thistlekit, smiling softly down at him.

"It's my understanding that you wish to train as a mediator?"

Thistlekit nods vigorously, spiky fur becoming tousled once again.

To Silverkit, he didn't seem like the mediator type, but perhaps he'd grow into it.

Featherstar chuckles softly.

"Very well."

"Thistlekit, you have reached the age of six moons and it is now time for you to assume the position of SkyClan's official mediator-in-training. Your duty will be to offer guidance and counsel to all, regardless of their allegiance, and until you complete your training you will be known as Thistlepaw."