This Spaniard meant every word he said and would take pleasure in the act.

***********

Arianna and Derek sat in the captain's cabin breaking their fast together. The cabin boy had returned, as the commotion on deck began to quiet. He appeared with a tray laden with enough food to feed Arianna for the next three days. Three mugs of coffee had been sent, along with sugar.

The fare was a gruel with canned fruits and berries to add to it. They both took hearty portions and sat speaking of their favorite dishes. Derek told Arianna of different delicacies he had encountered all over the world.

She expressed interest in trying a few of the odd dishes he spoke of, and yet, some disgusted her with the gruesome mental picture his words created. She had only made him change topics once, however. She found his knowledge of different lands and their customs impressive. The things he spoke of had not been read in some book, but gained through actual first hand experiences.

Derek did not know why he felt the need to recall some of the more disturbing things he had seen, or tried, especially while the lady was eating. Mayhap he tested her. Mayhap he tested himself. What he did know, was that he was impressed with her ability to stomach the gruel before her while he spoke of roasted brain, broiled tongue, as well as raw hearts... She had begged him to divert the conversation at that one.

In truth, it had taken him a few minutes to be able to bring his spoon to his own mouth, as he had remembered watching the people, a young girl in particular, bit into said pig's organ while it quite literally, was still beating. The little girl in his memory had smiled at him. A sweet smile, had it not been for the warm blood that had still ran down her chin.

There was knock at the cabin door and Alejandro swept in at Derek’s call. Alejandro shut the door behind him and moved to the table, straddling the chair he had previously occupied. It was then that Arianna noticed his bandaged hand.

"Señior, were you injured?"

Alejandro looked down at his hand as if he had forgotten. "Oh, no, Señorita. I was demonstrating the cat-o-nines bite for the crew."

The color partially drained from her face. "You struck yourself with a deadly whip?"

"Nay, merely slapped it over my hand. It looks much worse than it is, my lady. I only caught three barbs. However, our murderer caught quite a few more."

"You found him out then?" Derek joined the conversation, setting his gruel aside, he leaned forward in his chair. He was much more in need of the truth than nourishment at the moment.

"Yes, Hensley, one of the seven men we took on in St. Thomas, he was the one who dined with Harry George this morn. George is now missing, I believe Hensley murdered him as well, and dropped him in the drink."

"Surely he could have simply pushed him overboard?" The thought of the poor man's fate sent a shiver across Arianna's skin.

"Nay, Señorita, someone would have heard George had he been conscious." Alejandro smiled across the table at her as if they were not speaking of a dead man. Well, an allegedly dead man. "Though I will concede the point that he may not have been dead before he tumbled into the sea, he may merely have been unconscious. Either way, 'tis murder."

"Aye," Derek agreed with his first mate. "And murder is punishable by death. What have you done with him, Alejandro?"

"Me?" Alejandro sent his captain a wounded look, "I have not done anything yet. He fell unconscious after the first lash of the whip. He is locked in the brig." Alejandro's eyes locked onto his captain's once more and an almost childlike smile curved his lips. "I did promise to flay him into chum and feed him to the sharks."

A gasp sounded from Arianna's direction, Alejandro looked to her and visibly winced. "I told him he could say goodbye to George for the rest of us."

Derek laughed, "You sometimes get carried away, my friend."

Alejandro huffed at that and the three sat in silence for a few moments. Alejandro sipped his coffee and Derek retrieved his fare. Arianna sat contemplating the situation. She still wondered if there was any relation between her likeness in the hallway, the doctors murder, and now the missing crewman.

"I want to question him."

She was just as surprised at the words that she spoke as the men were.

"I do not think.." Alejandro began, but Derek cut him short.

"Why?"

She took a deep breath, "I found my likeness in the same hallway that a murder occurred in. There must be a connection and I have to discover it. I will not live my life constantly glancing over my shoulder." She stood, her teeth pulled her bottom lip between them in the corner. "And if I do need to be looking over my shoulder, I at least need to know what I am looking for."

Alejandro's head dipped in understanding. Derek simply stared at her. She could not read his thoughts. Would he deny her this? Did she even truly want to do this? No, but she had to.

"Alright." Arianna beamed at his answer, the dimple in her left cheek winked at him.

"On one condition." Her smile died slightly, but she waited for him to continue. "I... We, will be there with you."

"You have yourself a deal, captain." Arianna stuck her hand out to shake his and complete their negotiations. But when he took her hand, he did not shake it. He lifted it and brought her knuckles to his lips for a warm kiss.