(Edited) Chapter 3

The next morning was quite uneventful. I would have thought that each day was filled with the sounds of bloody carnage and cries for mercy in the arena, but it was actually really quiet.

I woke up the next day with the same feeling of stone underneath me. The dragons weren't kind enough to supply their prisoners with blankets or pillows. The floor was my bed that night.

Not that I could get any sleep anyway. I kept myself up all night long, trying to think of a way out of this mess.

A couple of guards would occasionally walk by and I would wave at them as they gave me odd side glances. I hope that the news of a fortune telling scavenger would remain in the castle walls. I am not sure what could happen if too many of the dragons knew. If I know anything about Scarlet, she probably had the events of last night under wraps. The problem was that I now have a maniacal dragon breathing on my shoulder.

It's only been day one, and no dragons have been bothering me so far. If things can stay that way for a couple more weeks then I should be in the clear. The problem is I also need to figure out a way to escape.

Maybe I should focus on my credibility first. If I am a seer, I should think like one. I have to think up the logic of my "abilities", how that sham works and the story of my life in tribe what-it's-name. Scarlet if definitely going to want to know her future, but I doubt she'd waste her time with me if she isn't one hundred percent sure I know the future. The line between clever and foolish was getting thinner and thinner the more I thought about my whole ordeal.

As I was thinking to myself the temperature of my cell felt like it was rising. It was like someone adjusted the thermostat to "furnace mode". Not only that but there was a loud sizzling coming from down the hall. It didn't take long to figure out just what was happening and who was approaching. I did feel kind of nervous about meeting this particular dragon, sure she gets better further down the line and she does have her good moments, but right now she is a psycho.

My nervous train of thought was completely derailed as Queen Scarlet's champion walked in front of my cell and stared at me.

I know that the books mentioned she was larger than a normal Skywing, but she was bigger than life up close. She had an ember underside with crimson scales decorating her back and tracing the outline of her copper wings. Each scale glowed and pulsed with the heat that emanated from her body. She locked eyes with me and scanned my small frame with those sapphire eyes.

"Wow, she's

"Wow, she's...beautiful."

"Hey, is something wrong with you? Aren't you supposed to talk or something?" I woke up from my daze and realized I was staring.

"Oh, sorry Peril. Just a little...distracted.", I chuckled nervously.

She obviously looked at me with the same look of surprise that every other dragon has given me so far.