Chapter 14: Syringes

Start from the beginning

"I think I get it," replied Yukari, "but then... why would Yukou Tsugomorii continue to kill sorcerers?"

Mrs Yokiuji wrapped her left hand around her chin. "It is possible he is simply not aware of this universal truth — yet that sounds absurd," she explained. "Therefore, the most probable explanation would be Yukou Tsugomorii believing he can alter the laws of our world."

The teenager nodded. "That makes sense."

He seemed completely insane. I hope I never run into him again.

The woman smiled before checking her watch. "Unless you have any other questions, you may leave."

Yukari bowed. He thanked Mrs Yokiuji and stepped back outside. The bitter cold introduced itself, as did the melancholically monochromatic palette of winter. Two distinct figures stood out against the monotonous background: one red, one blue.

"I don't know if we should ask him," whispered Mizuki, maintaining his gaze on the purple-haired teenager. "Is it really a good idea...?"

Hinotori's expression lacked its usual exhilaration. He clenched his fists. "I'm... not sure."

The newly-promoted sorcerer waved at the two teammates; slowly, they waved back and walked away — leaving Yukari standing in solitude.

What's up with them...?

Specks of starlight glimmered throughout the vibrant veil known as the midnight sky. Mizuki and Hinotori stood before a set of descending stone stairs built beneath repeating vermillion torii gates, murmuring to one another. A snowy crunch caused the teenagers to jolt. They turned around, meeting a familiar pair of light grey eyes.

"Y-yukari..." stuttered Mizuki. He shifted his sight to Hinotori, who shared the same quandary.

"What's going on?" asked the purple-haired teenager. "You guys have been acting weird all day."

A biting breeze swept past the two sorcerers. For a few moments, everything went quiet.

"I'm guessing you've heard about the recent disappearances," muttered Hinotori. "The ones that started three weeks ago."

Yukari's eyes widened. "Huh?"

"Sixteen people living in Toyko have gone missing," added Mizuki with an unsettled tone. "Many others were hospitalised due to drug-related incidents, too."

Hinotori scowled. "Thanks to the presence of residuals, Jujutsu High has traced these events back to a single cursed spirit... but the bad part is that it's most likely a special-grade."

The purple-haired teenager gave a puzzled look. "Why hasn't this curse been exorcised yet?"

"There are never any sorcerers available," answered Mizuki. "Especially after last night; Shinji fought a special-grade as well."

"Due to personal reasons, Mizuki and I want to exorcise this bastard before any more people suffer. Mrs Yokiuji instructed us to wait until a high-grade sorcerer could get involved, claiming we wouldn't survive otherwise."

"Even so," mumbled Mizuki, a teardrop forming underneath his right eye. "We don't want any more lives to be ruined."

"Shinji's busy hunting down the other special-grade, so we couldn't ask him for help."

Yukari crossed his arms, shivering. "What about Kana...?"

"She refused to join this mission," informed Mizuki. "I don't blame her, though. You two were nearly killed by a special-grade last night."

Hinotori scratched the back of his head. "To be honest, Kana scares me."

The purple-haired teenager tilted his head. "Why?"