Free

Emma had just moved from Colorado and caught the first plane to Montana. She grew up on a ranch and is great with horses.

I was still bruised. I was finally free and all I could do was sit at a bar and drink. Its been 7 hours since I got here. 8 years of hell, living with the man that I thought loved me. 4 and half years in was the first time he hit me. I couldn't leave him, he swore he fucken loved me he swore. Why didn't I leave. Fuck the pain the trauma. Why didn't I leave.
   "Excuse me." A man said pulling me out of my thoughts "Are you alright?"
   "Umm yes, yeah I am fine." I say taking another sip. He ordered a drink.
    "Mind if I sit?" He says pointing to the Stool next to me.
     "Yeah, go ahead." I say. He was tall with a dark beard and mustache, he had a dark cowboy hat on and jeans he had a black jacket with a yellow Y on it. I had on my light cowboy hat with my hair in a Braid. "Listen I really don't want to be hit on its happened like 12 times."
    "I wasn't gonna hit oh you, no I am just here to watch my cowboys make sure they don't get into no trouble."
     "Cowboys huh, you work on a ranch?"
     "I am a foreman at a ranch."
      "Oh the big huh?"
     "Yes ma'ma the big guy." He is the first man who hasn't asked me what happened or tried to get in my pants.
     "I have about an hour left in me before I get tired of there shit." He said pointing back to the guys in cowboy hats.
     "They look like quite the handful." I say sarcastically. " do you know of any hotels around here?" I ask him.
     "Oh your not from here?"
     "No, no I am not, figured I would find a hotel tonight and look for a ranch to work at tomorrow."
     "Your a wrangler?" He says looking at me
     "Yes sir I am." I say back, my eyes were Droopy and I was exhausted.  My bags were on the floor next to me.
     "Do you mind me asking, what happened." He says Referring to my face.
     "Kinda a long story." I say back
    "Well if I offer you a job, your gonna have to tell me."
     "What?"
     "I work for the yellowstone Dutton ranch, we need a new wrangler, can you ride?"
     "Hell all I do is ride."
     "I assume you can rope." He said pointing to the rope on my bag.
     "Yes sir."
     "So your face?"
     "Umm bar fight, some guy tried getting in My pants, I didn't like it, you should see him." I say lying to his face.
     "Well there's no fighting on the ranch."
    "I think I could do that." I say nodding.
    "Grab your shit put it in the truck with the yellowstone logo on it."
    "Shit, glad you told me wouldn't have been able to figure it out."
    "Do you have a hard time following orders because if so this ain't gonna work in your favor."
    "No sir, sorry I am just tired."
    "Hmm we will meet you out side." I walk out and place my bags in the back of the truck, I lean on it and light a cigarette.  The bunch of cowboys walk out with the man that just got me a job.
   "I didn't catch your name." He said
   "Emma." I say after puffing my cigarette.
    "I am rip." He says back.
   "Is that your real name, or a nickname?" One of the guys laughed as the piled into another truck.
   "Nope it my real fucken name." After getting in the truck he Introduced me to the three cowboys in are car.
  "This is Lloyd, Jimmy and jake, the men you saw get in the other car were, walker, Colby and Ryan." I nodded my head and said.
  "I'm Emma." The drive to the ranch was pretty much silent. It was a good 20 minute drive. The ranch was beautiful. I followed the rest of the boys to the bunkhouse with my bags.
  "Your bunk is the one on the end bottom." The man named Lloyd said. I walked back and set my stuff down. Sleeping has always been hard, especially because I feared for my life. I was in a room with Strangers and still felt safer then I did in my bed.