Chapter 4 - The Isle of the Sun

Start from the beginning

"Fellow trainees?" Ernst asked.

Valin nodded. "Something like that. They'll have a specialized curriculum. Be careful when you visit the temple, sire. They're dangerous creatures, these sun monks. We'll be here for a few days while we wait for any other ships to meet us, and then we'll proceed as one large fleet to Talagai."

In the late afternoon, the ship docked at Kauu Hy and Galaric set foot on shore for the first time in three days. He stumbled a little, and Varren slapped his back. "You'll get used to it just in time for us to set out on the ship again."

Kauu Hy was a strange mix of large and small. The docks themselves were extensive. Clearly, many ships passed through this harbor. But besides the harbor, the island was so rocky that almost everyone lived in the little port town.

Ernst, Raleph, Galaric, and the other prospective paladins followed Valin Kyor down the dock and along the beach for about half a mile. The other two ships were a couple hours out, so Valin opted to begin the journey to the monastery now.

"How long will we be here?" Ernst asked, hand resting on the hilt of his sword. It had not left his side since the kidnapping.

"We'll be staying at the monastery for about a week," Valin said. "Throughout the week, other trainees will be arriving. Once everyone has arrived, we'll depart as a unified fleet to deter any attackers."

A narrow strip of sand connected Kauu Hy to the towering Isle of the Sun. On the other side of the isthmus a small group waited for them. They wore simple, light brown robes and bowed slightly when the Valin's party arrived. Nearly all of them had long, straight black hair. The men wore it short-cropped, while the women wore it to the shoulder, or tied back or in a braid. The woman at the front of the group stepped forward. A few strands were lose, framing her sharp features. Her golden, almond-shaped eyes glanced at each member of the group.

"I am T'sold Yaim," She said to Valin. "Please, allow us to help carry your things to the monastery. It's a fair walk."

Valin shook his head. "If they cannot carry their own things for a few miles, they aren't fit for Talagai."

"As you say, sir," T'sold replied. "Follow us."

With that, her group fell into step with Valin's, and they continued down the beach. After about a mile, they turned and began climbing a path cut through the jungle, up toward the volcano. Before long, the groups struck up conversation. Galaric found himself beside T'sold.

"So, you're the leader of these monks?" He asked.

She laughed. "No, not even close. I'm one of the lowest ranked monks, barely an acolyte. That's why I'm able to talk to you."

Galaric glanced over at her. She walked with a lightness that went beyond the physical, looking straight ahead. She had caramel-colored skin, tanned from the powerful sun here, with a few freckles across her nose.

"What do you mean by 'able to talk'?" Galaric wondered. "Are the other monks too holy for us?"

T'sold shook her head. "Not at all. The more experienced members of our abbey are in charge of teaching the younger students, you see. They, in turn, learn from the masters, who themselves study and ponder the old scrolls, and the creatures of the gods to refine their mind and techniques, seeking a proper unity of spirit and body. Then they experiment and pass on their insights to the rest of us. Since I'm not very advanced, I have few to instruct and few forms to master, and so have time to assist those outside the abbey."

The closer the group got to the volcano, the warmer it got, and the higher they climbed, the thinner the air became. Soon, all the paladin trainees were soaked in sweat and gasping for air and conversation died out as the trainees focused on merely putting one foot in front of the other.