𝐀𝐮𝐠𝐮𝐬𝐭

Start from the beginning

"You're not Kiara. You'll never be her. I don't like you like that Isla, I never will. Fucking gross." His voice muffled in aggression over the crackling fire that made my face warm just sitting beside it. John B opened his mouth to speak in order to defend me from someone that I claimed was my best friend since we were in first grade. I stood up off of the lawn chair that John B placed around the campfire. Brushing off the denim shorts with my hands, I nodded my head at him while holding back tears. Kiara stood up beside me as I started to head into the darkness that would lead me to my newly bought Ford Bronco that I saved up for. "What the fuck is wrong with you, JJ?" Kiara yelled at him with anger forming in her voice. She chased after me as John B and Pope started talking to him with anger rising around the situation. "Isla! Wait up." Kiara said aloud and ran behind me. Her bare feet hit the long shards of unmowed grass. Hot tears started to run against my tan skin that freckled up from the summer sunshine that I surfed in everyday. Kiara grabbed my arm while I dangled my keys in my hands, opening my car door. "I just don't like her that way." JJ yelled at John B as they started to get into a physical altercation.

Turning around, I stared at Kiara while tears hit my neck after rolling down my cheeks. "Don't listen to him." Kiara told me as I shook my head. "Don't be sorry for me, Kie. I know you love him too. Don't waste this opportunity just because he isn't in love with me, I'm happy for you." I mentioned it to her and pulled myself into the Bronco. The lights to the car turned on from the sensor. "I'm going home so just text me later? Okay?" I told her and shut my door while she stared at me in silence. She was unable to comprehend words. She shook her head. I had started the Branco and sped off into the night that was ahead of me, her running back to JJ and John B in hopes to pull them away from another. JB had my back despite the issues that I had faced with JJ. It was painful but I started to move on from the situation my junior year.

JJ shook his head again and ran his finger along his thigh. "Isla, I'm deeply in love with you. It is so painful to think about life without you." JJ explained as I turned to face him. I clenched my jaw thinking about the summer before our junior year. The pain that he had caused me for months. I had stayed away from him and my own friends for months on end. "I'm in love with Rafe." I responded to him and tucked strands of hair behind my ears. "I'm sorry." I told him while glancing away from his eyes that started to form the tears that my eyes had formed the night he dehumanized me in front of my friends. JJ turned away from me, tears grasping against the corners of his eyes. "You had me once." I told the young boy that sat across from me as I couldn't look at the pain that looked upon his face. It broke my heart to see him desperately want to be in love with someone. "You're going to hold onto that?" He questioned while his voice became raspy and sad.

I nodded my head at him and stood up from the big bed that sat in the middle of the home. I walked to the door, standing in front of it. One of my arms had held onto the others with awkwardness. "You're in love with the idea of me." I told him once more and stared at him with sadness forming inside my eyes. He bit the inside of his mouth, staring at everything but me while I stood in front of the large white door that was lighted by the moonlight over the oceanic waters. "I can't be your second option just because you can't have Kiara." I responded to him as he glanced towards me with a disbelief look on his tanned face. "Isla, I haven't been in love with Kiara in years." He mentioned. A hot tear ran down his cheek while he shook his head. I leaned against the door and stood there with pain forming in my chest thinking about the pain I caused him. I was in love with Rafe, just thinking about the presence of him had made me joyful. I was happy with him. We had a baby on the way that he was so excited about. I didn't want anything to ruin that happiness.

"But why now? You had every chance to tell me but you chose now when I'm expecting a child with my boyfriend? I'm happy with Rafe." I told him and held my arm while clenching my jaw in annoyance that he had chosen this time to confess how he had felt towards me. JJ shook his head at me. "I knew that it was too late but I could just not tell you." He said and stared at me with the same tears running down his face. "I wish that we were together and that baby was mine. I hoped for our future together. The night of your birthday, that was me explaining to you how I felt towards you and you didn't get the hint. We literally fell asleep together in the same bed, Isla." JJ commented as he had raised his raspy voice that was smothered with sadness. I shook my head at him and leaned against the door once again. "What do you want me to do about that? I can't take anything back." I told him once again. Pushing my hair over my shoulders, I tucked some of the curly hair pieces behind my earrings that hung against my smaller ears.